Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

jazz bands/orchestras

Post by steltz »

Richard Kram's Noodles refers. We don't have a separate designation for a jazz band, but it is a rather distinct animal in that it will include a rhythm section. New tag?
bsteltz
steltz
active poster

Re: jazz bands/orchestras

Post by steltz »

We h-ave quite a few of these now, the most recent is 4 Jazz Pieces by Santos: [url]http://imslp.org/wiki/Four_Jazz_Pieces, ... 331461[url].

If one tags ww br perc, it will come up military band. If I tag it for the individual instruments, given that Reed 1 involves clarinets and flute, it will add up to a wrong number of people. Also, there are electric strings, which, if one adds the "str" family, will just come out as "orch". In any case, individual tags make a "jazz band" very difficult to search for in the instrumentation/genre search box.

I think we should consider a tag for this type of ensemble.
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: jazz bands/orchestras

Post by Davydov »

I think we could run into problems with a grey area in determining what constitutes a jazz ensemble (anything from Shostakovich's orchestra in his Jazz Suites, to Gershwin's writing for Benny Goodman). But in this case I think if we use "jazz" for the work type, then we can still use "orch" for instrumentation.