VictorEijkhout
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Copyright for arrangements

Post by VictorEijkhout »

I just uploaded this arrangement:

El Manisero

I had thought the original piece would be out of copyright but I guess I was wrong there.

However, how does arranging work for a work under copyright? Should I get any sort of permission for making the arrangement in the first place?

Clarification would be appreciated.

Victor.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Copyright for arrangements

Post by Carolus »

Depends on where you are. If you're in the USA, permission for the arrangement is required before arranging. The piece is free in Canada. In the EU there are countries where no permission is required to actually make the arrangement, but you must have permission to distribute in any way.
VictorEijkhout
forum adept

Post by VictorEijkhout »

I found the piece on ASCAP and it seems Hal Leonard controls the rights. I'll try to obtain rights for the US.

Victor.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Carolus wrote:Depends on where you are. If you're in the USA, permission for the arrangement is required before arranging.
You know, I've seen similar comments on the board before. It doesn't quite make sense how the ACT of arranging anything could be illegal. Now obviously sharing, pushlishing, selling...whatever....is a different story, but someone taking a copyrighted work and making their own arrangement for the hell it/for practice/etc could hardly be wrong (and what if they do it in their head? Or hell, improvising at the piano?)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

There is a pretty big exemption in the US law - recordings. If you record a piece and pay the compulsory license to Harry Fox, you're allowed to arrange it as needed for the recording - which amounts to a license to arrange for any combination in the recording.