Publisher information

Moderator: kcleung

horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Publisher information

Post by horndude77 »

I see that the publisher, editor, and similar information are missing from many of the entries. I'd be happy to update this if I knew the sources. So my question would be how do we find out this information? I'm mainly interested in the Beethoven symphony scores at the moment. Ok, Thanks!

-----Horndude77

Post by Guest »

I agree that publisher information would be very helpful. I was just going to post about it!

hornguy15 [yet another horn player]
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well... the problem (and why there are missing info) is mainly because at this point in time, what IMSLP needs is not thorough research about a piece, but just lots of scores. Someone else asked me via e-mail about nearly the same thing a few months back, and it still hasn't changed. The truth is, no matter how well documented the library is, it's useless if there's only 10 scores in the library. Also, quite a few of the scans are not exactly high quality, so I'd like to replace them in the future, complete with all info, but (a big but)... I think you can imagine the amount of work that is needed. I can confidently say that there is no way in hell that I will be able to do this by myself in even a decade (using my spare time). That's why for now what I'm trying to do is create an IMSLP community, a group of people who are willing to use their free time to work on IMSLP. While I appreciate the work of many many people who have already submitted scores into the IMSLP library, still at least 90% are submitted by myself. And between that and everyday janitorial duties, I've got no time left.

But this is a wiki! And the point of the wiki format is that anyone can modify and improve upon it ;)
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

I hope I didn't offend with any of my comments. (I would love to add the info if I knew it.) I think this is a wonderful project and I'm willing to help.

I do own some scores that I am willing to scan. I've never done this before. What tools do you use? I'm on linux and I managed to get my scanner working. I've haven't used it much before. It was part of a printer we got as a wedding gift. Anyways, I've got xsane and kooka both working. I've tried the line-art option in hopes of reducing the image size, but it just looks crappy. Gray-scale looks nice, but the image gets bigger. Any suggestions on fileformat (jpg, png, tiff, bmp, etc..)?

Also, after I get all the image files what do you use to put it into a pdf (not sure I want to mess with djvu yet)? Ghostscript? It may be useful if we added some good shell scripts or tutorials on how to do this for windows/mac/linux.

Thanks again!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually it's pretty hard to offend me ;) And no you didn't even come close lol. But anyway, even though I said not to use grayscale in the official submission pages, you can use grayscale if you think it is more legible at the same size... Basically I think there are two options: 1. scan in B&W with a higher resolution, or 2. scan in grayscale. You don't have to worry about size *too* much (I'd say a max of 500kb/page though, 200-300kb/page best). For Linux, you can use imagemagick to create the PDF files from scanned images. I'm not too familar with the program, but from what I know it should be able to do lotsa stuff... but don't forget to compress the images before you make them into a PDF file (I don't think it can compress the images, but I'm not sure). Of course, you probably have to play around with the image compression settings... but hey, you probably already do that a lot since you use linux ;)

Sorry for the late reply... am traveling right now :)