Trying to make available my English singing-translation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "May Night"

Moderator: kcleung

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Trying to make available my English singing-translation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "May Night"

Post by Lyle Neff »

Just now I tried to make PDFs available my English singing-translation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "May Night" ( https://imslp.org/wiki/May_Night_(Rimsk ... C_Nikolay) ), from a scan of my inscriptions into a Soviet vocal score.
The four PDFs have been uploaded (see image attached), but IMSLP nevertheless gives me this error message:
Scans must be public domain. If you composed the music yourself, or have permission from the composer, select 'New Compositions' instead. Please visit this page for more information.
Please help.
I want this singing-translation to be available under my copyright, as well as under CC non-commercial no-derivatives.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (65.78 KiB) Viewed 15456 times
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Re: Trying to make available my English singing-translation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "May Night"

Post by Lyle Neff »

Is there no answer or explanation from any of the moderators to my query?
I posted the above two weeks ago.
If this contribution of mine to IMSLP is not needed or wanted or acceptable, then please say so and give a logical reason here on this forum, in a timely fashion.
There are a few other public-domain vocal scores of operas onto which I have inscribed my English singing-translations, and I would like to make those likewise available on IMSLP under my copyright and under CC no-derivatives non-commercial status.
Clarity would be very much appreciated.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Trying to make available my English singing-translation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "May Night"

Post by Sallen112 »

We not longer accept new uploads under a NonCommercial License and NoDerivs is only available to Performance Rights Organizations members, which you need to send in documentation verifying you are part of a PRO group to approve NoDerivs uploads. The best we can offer for Noncommercial as a replacement is choosing CC BY SA instead. See this discussion as to why the the changes to the licenses happened.
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

Lyle Neff wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:01 pm Is there no answer or explanation from any of the moderators to my query?
I posted the above two weeks ago.
If this contribution of mine to IMSLP is not needed or wanted or acceptable, then please say so and give a logical reason here on this forum, in a timely fashion.
There are a few other public-domain vocal scores of operas onto which I have inscribed my English singing-translations, and I would like to make those likewise available on IMSLP under my copyright and under CC no-derivatives non-commercial status.
Clarity would be very much appreciated.
You can review our licensing policy (https://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Licensing_ ... Guidelines).

We cannot and will not accept any upload under the non-commerical no-derivs license.

1. The non-commercial clause has legal flaws which have caused issues in the past for users of these works; the share-alike provision prohibits proprietary use, which makes commercialization uneconomical (as any commercialized copy would need to be distributed with indication that it can be copied and reused, the cost would not rise above that of the materials).

2. The no-derivs clause both violates the user's expectation of being able to use the file, and, because the file can't actually be used (e.g., cannot be recorded), it is not useful to our site's users. We have no intention of allowing the submission of files unless they are actually able to be used freely by downloaders — otherwise, they serve little purpose but to advertise for the uploader.

DBM
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

If "non commercial, no derivatives" no longer applies, then please remove any and all works by me from IMSLP/Petrucci that I uploaded under those terms.
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

Lyle Neff wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:58 pm If "non commercial, no derivatives" no longer applies, then please remove any and all works by me from IMSLP/Petrucci that I uploaded under those terms.
We do not allow any new submissions under any such license, for the reasons mentioned earlier. But, as before, we do not remove any file which has already been submitted due to the author's request.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Does that mean that anyone can download and use any of my own COPYRIGHTED compositions that I have uploaded to IMSLP over these last many years can make money from them?
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

Lyle Neff wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:48 pm Does that mean that anyone can download and use any of my own COPYRIGHTED compositions that I have uploaded to IMSLP over these last many years can make money from them?
No. Your works that are uploaded under the CC BY-NC-ND license can't be used to make money. In fact, they can't be used for very much anything at all (because the NC-ND license allows only extremely limited uses). The terms of existing licenses are not affected — IMSLP is not the copyright holder of works submitted by users. But IMSLP doesn't accept this license for any new submissions, for the reasons described earlier in this thread and in the linked licensing page.

On the other hand, the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license allows users to actually use the work, but requires that they share any such uses under the same license (allowing free reuse, which effectively prevents the derivatives from being a commercial product — this is "copyleft"), and is accepted for IMSLP submissions.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Then how can my English singing-translation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "May Night" be made available for legal use on IMSLP?
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

Lyle Neff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:49 pm Then how can my English singing-translation of Rimsky-Korsakov's "May Night" be made available for legal use on IMSLP?
You are welcome to upload your files under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license (or one of the other licenses on our list of accepted free licenses).

If you have a technical issue with uploading, you can email me at dbmiller@imslp.org and I can help you out.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

The files are already uploaded under CC, with my copyright notice added to the PDFs. See the image attached earlier in the comments above.
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

Lyle Neff wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:40 pm The files are already uploaded under CC, with my copyright notice added to the PDFs. See the image attached earlier in the comments above.
I think your issue is that you are choosing "Normal Scans"; while these are still scans, please choose "Typesets" as we add annotated scans to the same category. Then the form should work.