Indiana Variations project

Moderator: kcleung

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Indiana Variations project

Post by daphnis »

Has anyone ever attempted to contact them to advise them not to scan any more scores in low resolution grayscale? I can't believe how many scores they've scanned in such a horrible way, some that, were it not for this, would be ideal and clear study materials (Wagner full opera scores).
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Also, does anyone know what happened to the automatic compiling script? That could be useful.
Vivaldi
active poster

Re: Indiana Variations project

Post by Vivaldi »

I think the main reason they scanned it in such a low resolution is because the scans are primarily for display purposes only and not for printing. Low resolution uses less bandwidth when the pages are loading, although I see no harm in them scanning in high resolution since the scores are public domain anyway.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

daphnis wrote:Has anyone ever attempted to contact them to advise them not to scan any more scores in low resolution grayscale? I can't believe how many scores they've scanned in such a horrible way, some that, were it not for this, would be ideal and clear study materials (Wagner full opera scores).
If you go to the main page, http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variations/, it seems that that version of the project is no longer active.

The newer version, Variations 2, is for I.U. access only; Variations 3 is an expansion to other institutions.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Does this mean that the newer versions won't be freely available to the public via the web?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Vivaldi wrote:Does this mean that the newer versions won't be freely available to the public via the web?
If you read the information on the linked pages, that seems to be the case.
You might want to contact the libraries involved to ask them whether they have considered allowing public-domain scores in the newer versions of Variations to be opened up beyond institutional access.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)