Main Page

Moderator: kcleung

Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Got it:
http://www.imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Mainpage/de
Guess this is self-explanatory. Looks like you can ditch your hard coded sidebar internationalization :D
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Fine! Make me remove my own code will ya ;) (just kidding)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Unfortunately does not work :( I guess that sort of makes sense (URLs would be all over the place if this happened). Maybe we can start with internationalizing just the text, and then we can do the page internationalization later when we know how best to do it. We can hack together something right now with the IFLANG parameter and the inclusion of different language translations of the entire page (via {{:Page}}) on a Community Portal "meta-page", but the title would still not be internationalized...
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Hm, need to do some more research. Somehow it must be possible, I can't really imagine this stuff to be hard wired on Wikimedia Commons. Hang on...
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

OK, hope this time it's for real: Look for $wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg in DefaultSettings.php.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I'll do some offline tests on my local copy first before going live, as this could well break many things... expect this tomorrow if the offline tests go successfully. :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Fixed. Now both mainpage-url and helppage-url use $wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Excellent. Could you please add portal-url, too? It's not urgent, since the new portal has not yet been translated, and the old one (of which some translation exists) should rather not be linked from the sidebar (little useful content).

At some point we may also want to translate the two "browse by" pages, but at the moment no translation exists to my knowledge.

If you set up a donation system, you may also want to add sitesupport-url.

As for the sidebar structure, I like the division into "navigation" and "participate" that is used e.g. on commons.wikimedia.org. The problem is, the content of the "browse by" box of the IMSLP sidebar would not be very clear without that heading, so it would probably not be a good idea to move those links as they are to the "navigation" box. Thoughts, anyone?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

How about you just split the navigation into "browse scores by" and non-"browse scores by", and then add participate below those two? :)

I'll add imslpportal-url because if I add portal-url it'd point to non-existent pages :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

imslp wrote:How about you just split the navigation into "browse scores by" and non-"browse scores by", and then add participate below those two? :)
Could be an idea... so we would have something like (don't mind the exact wording):
*navigation
**main page
**random page
**donate

*browse scores
**composer name
**composer period
**work genre
**work period

*participate
**community portal
**forums
**RC
**help

The silly toy function "random page" gets a rather too prominent position, but otherwise it looks fine to me... what do you think?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

It looks nice :) But hey! Don't speak so badly about Random Page ;) I know some people who like to click that link all day long just to see random scores popping up (seriously) haha :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

imslp wrote:It looks nice :)
I think I'll make the change shortly. By the way, would "Contributors Portal" (or would it have to be "Contributors' Portal"?) be clearer, or would it sound silly?
imslp wrote:But hey! Don't speak so badly about Random Page ;)
Who said that silly toys are a bad thing?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:
imslp wrote:It looks nice :)
I think I'll make the change shortly. By the way, would "Contributors Portal" (or would it have to be "Contributors' Portal"?) be clearer, or would it sound silly?
Hmm... if the page is about contribution, then "Contributor's Portal" may be a good idea :) We can then set up a "User's Portal" or something... I've started a "Welcome Page" a long time ago but never got around to finishing it, but maybe something similar can be put for users (it currently also sounds way too much like a commercial): http://imslp.org/wiki/Welcome_Page

The idea is to list ways in which IMSLP can be useful to different people (I'm here mainly thinking of universities and professors, since the use of IMSLP to other people is more obvious); I think it would be great for IMSLP if some university library would collaborate with IMSLP, but for that sake we must first attract them and show them how useful IMSLP can be :)
imslp wrote:But hey! Don't speak so badly about Random Page ;)
Who said that silly toys are a bad thing?
Fine! ;)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

imslp wrote:Hmm... if the page is about contribution, then "Contributor's Portal" may be a good idea :)
Ah, so both my guesses were wrong, you don't use the plural in this case. Probably much of what I write in English sounds awkward... feel free to fix whatever weird wordings I produce.
imslp wrote:We can then set up a "User's Portal" or something... I've started a "Welcome Page" a long time ago but never got around to finishing it, but maybe something similar can be put for users (it currently also sounds way too much like a commercial): http://imslp.org/wiki/Welcome_Page

The idea is to list ways in which IMSLP can be useful to different people (I'm here mainly thinking of universities and professors, since the use of IMSLP to other people is more obvious); I think it would be great for IMSLP if some university library would collaborate with IMSLP, but for that sake we must first attract them and show them how useful IMSLP can be :)
Well I've mentioned myself the idea of a User's Portal before (though maybe I called it something different)... We can start a draft and see how it turns out (maybe also start a new forum thread). Not sure what else you could write in the Welcome Page though...

What kind of collaboration are you thinking of with the university libraries?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:
imslp wrote:Hmm... if the page is about contribution, then "Contributor's Portal" may be a good idea :)
Ah, so both my guesses were wrong, you don't use the plural in this case. Probably much of what I write in English sounds awkward... feel free to fix whatever weird wordings I produce.
Actually... I didn't notice that at all haha. Speaking of which, I'm undecided between "Contributor's Portal" and "Contributor Portal"... the "'s" just seems weird to me for some reason... anyone else care to weigh in on this?
imslp wrote:We can then set up a "User's Portal" or something... I've started a "Welcome Page" a long time ago but never got around to finishing it, but maybe something similar can be put for users (it currently also sounds way too much like a commercial): http://imslp.org/wiki/Welcome_Page

Well I've mentioned myself the idea of a User's Portal before (though maybe I called it something different)... We can start a draft and see how it turns out (maybe also start a new forum thread). Not sure what else you could write in the Welcome Page though...

What kind of collaboration are you thinking of with the university libraries?
Well, I actually was writing about this to one librarian... one of my (grand? or overly grand? ;)) ideas is that IMSLP may become a sort of a hub for university score libraries. See, there are many relatively small music libraries around the world, and even though they are small, if a few of them will share scans of scores with everyone else, it'd both be a good thing for them (now they have access to the scores of other music libraries around the world), and the IMSLP (of course).

No idea how practical this is, or whether its just daydreaming, but hey... nothing tried nothing gained :) In any case, I believe that it will be possible to attract individual professors to sharing scores online, which is a good thing not only because there will be more people contributing (and high quality submissions too... I hope), but also because there will be more expertise in music, which is always a good thing for IMSLP imo. :) This is of course not in any way saying that current contributors are unknowledgable, but just that some insider musicology knowledge (not that I have much of that myself, which I don't) may be useful in some cases :)