Moderator: kcleung

jujimufu
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

New genre needed - Electronic Music

Post by jujimufu »

Hey guys,

I just got permission to upload an electronic score to IMSLP, for a piece called "Solitude" by Hans-Christoph Steiner (http://at.or.at/hans/solitude/).

I was wondering if any of the admins/moderators could create a genre called "Electronic" for the piece submission. I have added the piece under "Instrumental (chamber) - Other", but it's clearly wrong as the piece is electronic and is not meant to be played by performers.

Please do let me know as soon as possible, so I can change it accordingly.

Thanks!

EDIT: I changed the genre manually to "Electronic", but the page doesn't exist yet (obviously). Is this something I can create, or does it require administrator rights?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot2: Human

Re: New genre needed - Electronic Music

Post by KGill »

1. Right now (as you know, having participated), there is a huge debate about the categorization system (which will hopefully become more than just a plan soon), and one of the moves is to distance the new 'genres' from instrumentation, since possibly the biggest issue with the old one is that it's almost completely based on instrumentation and therefore isn't all that helpful. However, it might be worth considering to include some sort of category that would include all works not intended to be performed with the direct participation of humans. Don't know about anyone else, but I personally think it's an interesting idea.
2. Instrumentation classifications can (hopefully) be added after or during the great operation.
3. It might be more helpful to have posted this in the thread for the recategorization :)
4. Any user can create a page.
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

Yeah yeah, I'm aware of all the changes that are being discussed about the whole categorisation system, but I have a feeling this is going to take quite a while..

I just thought it'd be better to create the category now, and when the changes are applied, that genre could change along with the others.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Meanwhile you could create a page with the title "List of electronic compositions" and add that piece manually.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

A good idea, but do we know of any others on the site?
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

No, but that would be no reason for not creating the page.

In particular, I have an electronic piece which I could upload, and of course it would be easier for other people who might have electronic compositions with scores to upload them if there is already such a category.

When the first symphony was uploaded on IMSLP, there was no category "symphonic works", but it was created, and then more works were uploaded in the same category. It would be silly to say that we shouldn't create a "symphony" category because there is currently only one symphony on IMSLP.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Point taken. The new category ('genre') now exists- Piece for electronic instruments, although I don't think I have the ability to change the work submission page to make it appear in the list. It would be great if you could upload more pieces to fit into it!
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

Great, thanks a lot KGill!

I will upload my piece soon (once I clear up the score a bit and add a CC tag).

So at the moment we just have to change the genre manually, right? I will ask Feldmahler if he can add it to the drop-down list, as -as he said in the other thread about the changes in genres- it eventually is going to take a while before the new system is up and running.

Thanks again :)