Boije Archive (future project?)

Moderator: kcleung

jujimufu
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

Boije Archive (future project?)

Post by jujimufu »

I don't know if this has been discussed in the past or not -and if it has been and has been rejected, why so- so please correct me if it has.

There is this archive called the Boije archive, which is a collection of guitar scores collected by Carl Oscar Boije (1849-1923), a Swedish insurance agent, but also an amateur guitarist.

As you see - very very conveniently, all the published scores he must have gathered before the end of his life are public domain, pretty much everywhere.

Does that sound like a good project to incorporate to the Community Projects of IMSLP? I assume that -unless an organised effort in the past to incorporate that archive into IMSLP has been made- there are a lot of scores there that we do not have. Just by glimpsing at the first page of letter A of the archive, I can see the names of Ackenov, Adege, Heinrich Albert, A. de Lhoyer, Aloisi and Aubéry du Boulley, which as far as I can tell we don't have on IMSLP.

The collection can be found here: http://www.muslib.se/ebibliotek/boije/indexeng.htm, along with a contact e-mail.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES

Re: Boije Archive (future project?)

Post by vinteuil »

I don't think that a future project would make (try understanding that sentence), but it would be great if we could purloin a few of those.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

What do you mean? :x That it's not worth starting a new project page for it?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Actually, yes - sorry! We haven't done BSB or SLUB dresden projects. The problem with this is that it probably wouldn't end up being a community project, as I can't think of too many who would be willing to join - we've had that problem with much more "accessible" projects, so I can't see this being too much of a success.
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

Fair enough :)

I'll try and upload scores on my own. If more people start to get interested, we can start a community project page.

What are these projects you mentioned?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

OK, so I was the only person interested enough to complete the BH2000, BGA, and Gutenberg projects - projects that only really had (except for BGA) 3 or 4 members anyways. The same looks like it's happening to the orchestra parts project - literally only 3 people are uploading anything.
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

I didn't say "I'll start uploading stuff on my own" to make me look pathetic and get more people to help me..

If this is a bit of a rant, it's a bit out of place.. I merely asked what the "BSB" and "SLUB" projects -which were not added to the community projects- were, because I was interested.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Oops, misunderstood. BSB and SLUB Dresden are libraries which have scanned enormous quantities of music - BSB scanned the complete Handel that we have. However, there is no real reason to make a project out of those.
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

Wow!

Do they have links online, or are they with limited access (to students, researchers, whatever)?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

IMSLP:Other music score websites. The answer to all questions.
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

:) Thanks!

I'll try and take part in the Orchestral Parts project. I have some more free time until December, so I am going to invest it in IMSLP, which I have not have the time to contribute to a lot the past few months.