changed lay-out - what do you think?

Moderator: kcleung

Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

changed lay-out - what do you think?

Post by Peter »

I subtly changed the look of a work page by changing the info lists into a table here:
http://www.imslp.org/index.php?title=Fr ... ristian%29
I think it looks neater - what do you think? The upper table has a cell padding of 5, the lower a padding of 0.
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

It looks nice and clean to me. I think I like it better. Also I prefer the lower table padding (of 0).
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Then maybe the templates can be changed so that all new work pages and file entries are tables ?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hmm... this does look better. I'll change the template ASAP.

Thanks for the idea!

Also, I noticed that you've been submitting your own scans, which is great :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I've changed the work page creation to the style you gave me, but something came to me. I *could* just create template pages which the work pages link to, which would also make changing the style much less of a pain. The downside is that each page is not very customizable that way...

Any thoughts?
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

In my opinion the work pages don't need to be very customizable and should look as uniform as possible. This would make the maintenance much easier in the future. You just change the template and *POOF* all the pages are automatically updated.

Also I have to say that I think IMSLP has grown quite nicely in the 6 or so months that it's been up. Contrats!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I guess a way to go at it is to switch to the template system now, and perhaps in the future write a bot which will convert the current submissions into that format.

And thanks for the praise :) Couldn't have done it by myself (truly).

Post by Guest »

I thought the file description should get more attention in the layout.
I experimented somewhat with the templatE. Please change it to your needs, or let me know what you think.

http://www.imslp.org/index.php?title=Template:File
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That was me, forgot to log in.

Hmm, the width of the cell is changing with every file, so that doesn't look very neat. Anyone has ideas to fix this?
I changed the width to a fixed number of pixels, but I'm sure this is very bad programming :oops:
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

At first I thought it was... weird, to say the least. But the more I look at it, the more logical and user-friendly it seemed. I think this is a great improvement :)

Good work!

P.S. I don't know about the width thing though :/ It should be possible to make it so that it continues to the edge of the page, if that's what you mean, but I'm no HTML expert. Though I think it's very good as it is, even if not perfect.