Compositores Españoles / Spanish Composers

Moderator: kcleung

Schumann

Compositores Españoles / Spanish Composers

Post by Schumann »

Eh! Me ha sorprendido tristemente observar la grave ausencia de compositores españoles en vuestra página. Esto hay que solucionarlo ya! Y que mejor que un músico español para encargarse de ello :wink:
Planeo en el más breve tiempo posible publicar toda mi colección de compositores españoles y animo al resto a que haga lo mismo. ¿Qué os parece la idea? Saludos

Hey! I'm sadly surprised to see that your page is lacking Spanish composers!! That has to be solved as soon as possible and I think it's my obbligation as spanish musician to make it. I plan to post all my collection from Spanish composers and I encourage the others to do the same. What do you think of the idea? Greetings

Let's create the biggest Music Library Online!!!
ReignMan
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by ReignMan »

How many Spanish composers were there? I can't think of any, but I'd be willing to check to see if I have anything if you can name some.

Yo soy el aprender Español, muy lento! Es necesario en Miami, para todos hable Español.
Composer for Films, TV, and other Broadcast Media
Session Piano/Bass/Guitar/Percussion
Musical Savant
Schumann

Post by Schumann »

There were many great Spanish composers: Albeniz, Falla, Granados, Mompou. I can't really believe that you've never heard of them!
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

No offense meant, but Albeniz is the only spanish composer that I know. The Spain is I guess a forgotton spot in classical music :). I tend to think of guitar music when I think of spain unfortunately. So I guess you have a great opportunity here. Add your public domain spanish music and teach us about these composers!
ReignMan

Post by ReignMan »

Schumann wrote:There were many great Spanish composers: Albeniz, Falla, Granados, Mompou. I can't really believe that you've never heard of them!
I know Granados and Albeniz, but they are really obscure. Albeniz wrote a famous tango, and Granados wrote one or two songs of note. I think what was said about guitar music is more in line with what came from Spain.

I tend to think of Germany, Austria, Russia, Norway, France, Poland, and The United States as the principal countries of classical music (the U.S. came into play later on.) Ironically, there were few English composers, Elgar being an exception.

The absolute must have composers for the archive though would probably be:

J. S. Bach - Ger
L. V. - Beethoven Ger?
W. A. Mozart - Aus?
J. Brahms - Ger
R. Strauss - Ger
P. I. Tchaikovsky - Rus
G. F. Handel - Eng?
J. Haydn - Ger?
G. Bizet - Fra
I. Stravinsky - Rus
F. Mendelsson - Ger
R. Wagner - Ger
H. Berlioz - Fra
J. Strauss - Aus?
C. W. Gluck - Ger
G. Meyerbeer - Fra
F. Chopin - Pol?
F. Liszt - Hun
F. Schubert - Ger?

And later on:
S. Prokofiev - Rus
J. Williams - USA
H. Zimmer - Ger
M. Steiner - USA
L. Bernstien - USA
D. Shostakovich - Rus

I probably missed alot, but the absolute essentials are listed, specifically Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky.
Musical Savant
Schumann

Albeniz

Post by Schumann »

Albeniz wrote a huge composition which is one of the most important piano work of the late romanticism. It looks to the future and anticipates some devices of the impressionusmus. Debussy thought of it as one of the greatest ever composed. The name: Suite Iberia

You should listen to it some day. It's a piano monument. The spanish flavours are combined with the most serious german contrapuntal and development tradition. It's worth to listen.

Unfortunately, Spain is a beautiful women but indifferent to their sons. Here in Spain classical music and creators were not supported (in fact Albeniz had to exile), and without a national encourage their names have not reached so much success like i.e. Faure, Franck, Dukas, Saint-Saens.... Although nowadays the musicians begin to know Albeniz as he deserves.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Defining a list with "must have" composers is absolutely nonsense. One could define a list with the most known or the most popular composers, but this is extremely depending on cultural context. Just ask a frenchman and a german to make such a list. Ask a musicologist and a player of light fanfare music to make such a list. Ask a pianist and a violinist...

And please don't speak of composers as obscure people :cry: On what basis did you make such an insult? That you don't know them?

Btw, Manuel De Falla and F. Sor are other great Spanish composers that are not mentioned yet here!
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

I'm definately not Spanish but I'm very aware of Albeniz, Granados, de Falla (his Nights in the Gardens of Spain is a monument of tone color), Sor, Rodrigo (who HASN'T heard the 2nd movement of his guitar concerto?) and more. I find the incorporation of non-traditional tonal elements extremely appealing.
ReignMan

Post by ReignMan »

Peter wrote:
Defining a list with "must have" composers is absolutely nonsense. One could define a list with the most known or the most popular composers, but this is extremely depending on cultural context. Just ask a frenchman and a german to make such a list. Ask a musicologist and a player of light fanfare music to make such a list. Ask a pianist and a violinist...

And please don't speak of composers as obscure people :cry: On what basis did you make such an insult? That you don't know them?

Btw, Manuel De Falla and F. Sor are other great Spanish composers that are not mentioned yet here!
Care for a saucer of milk?
Musical Savant

Post by Guest »

ReignMan wrote:
Care for a saucer of milk?
Unfortunately, as a European, I don't understand your idiom.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Play nice people... before I have to make this the first locked thread of imslpforums.org ;)