Strange string notation

Moderator: kcleung

varnis
forum adept

Strange string notation

Post by varnis »

Working on a typeset im doing I've run into notation where strings playing in unison have 3/4 note chords where the bottom or two notes are crotchets and the upper one/two are minims, Im assuming this means that you bow all four notes then sustain the top two?

Anyone clarify this for me?
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Strange string notation

Post by horndude77 »

These are triple or quadruple stopped notes. I believe they're played just as you described.
varnis
forum adept

Post by varnis »

Indeed i know theyre multiple stops, i was just curious how theyre played is all, and that did seem the most sensible explanation ^^

While im on the subject of strange notation, Trombones on Alto Clef?
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by steltz »

My husband is a trombone player, and he says alto clef for trombone players comes in Prokofiev, Mendelssohn, Beethoven, Mozart Requiem, etc. Russian publishers often put 1st trombone in alto clef, and the Classical repertoire used a small bore, high-range trombone --these would have had at least the 1st trombone in alto clef. He didn't think alto clef was strange at all. It would probably help to know which composer you are working on?
bsteltz
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Of course, in a lot of the older music, it was written for alto trombone....thus alto clef. Surprised it'd be in Prokofiev though.
varnis
forum adept

Post by varnis »

Shostakovich for personal amusement, in my orange sikorski edition the trombones and tuba are written as 1+2 in alto and 3+tuba in bass clef - it just struck me as odd, since i'm fairly sure it's not intended for Alto trombone, I was expecting Tenor Clef :mrgreen:
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by steltz »

@Melodia: he says a lot of Prokofiev symphonies have the 1st trombone part in alto.

@Varnis: he says as long as you are doing a modern typeset, please change it to tenor!!!!! That's what trombonists expect, and they have an easier time reading it.
bsteltz
varnis
forum adept

Post by varnis »

Ok, Tenor it is then :D Tenor's easier for me to read too, copying all those damn bassoon parts :evil: