Arranger Information

Moderator: kcleung

billdyson
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Arranger Information

Post by billdyson »

I am looking for some biographical information on T. Conway Brown. He arranged the Carl Maria von Weber Clarinet Concerto #2 for wind ensemble. Does anyone have any information about this person?
steltz
active poster

Re: Arranger Information

Post by steltz »

This has been a very interesting ferreting expedition indeed . . . .

According to a review in The Musical Times of 1 June 1901 of The Military Church Parade Service Book, Thomas Conway Brown was a Serjeant in the Royal Artillery Mounted Band and also organist of All Saints Garrison Church in Aldershot.

However, I'm not 100% sure this is the same guy. Although connected with military bands, this guy is specifically "Thomas Conway Brown". Styling a name "T. Conway Brown" strikes me as maybe more southern US. On top of that, although the Weber 2nd Clarinet Concerto was published by Boosey & Hawkes London in 1949, another publication of Conway's, "Clarinet Passages" was published by Boosey in conjunction with Belwin-Mills, a US publisher. WorldCat doesn't give dates for him. In short, "he" seems to be perhaps untraceable at the moment, and these may be two different guys.

If it is the same guy, he could, if he was a young man in 1901, have lived long enough to still be under copyright. However, since I'm having trouble finding exact birth dates, or even verifying that the person I have found is the right one, one needs to tread carefully here.

In addition, if your query specifically has to do with the arrangement of the Weber concerto, then you also might need to look at editio princeps (first publication) as it applies to Boosey. The 1949 publication date may have been after Brown died, so copyright might not hinge on Brown's death date.

The British Ministry of Defence has a website with contact information, so I have emailed them for birth and death dates. I'm not a relative, so I don't know that they will answer my request.

While we wait for further developments, please tell us: are you wanting to upload the band parts to this edition?
bsteltz
billdyson

Post by billdyson »

Thank you very much for this information. It is much more than I could find by surfing the net, and I appreciate it very much.

My reason for wanting to know about Mr. Brown is that I am a member of an adult community wind ensemble in Georgia, Tara Winds. I am doing the program for a concert that we will be playing at the end of January in Savannah, and I needed this information for the program notes.

You have given me much to work with, now, and I appreciate your effort in getting this information to me.

I hope you have a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Born 1867, died late 1940s. Most works arrangements appear to have been issued in the USA by Schirmer, Belwin, etc., which suggests he moved there even if born in England.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the dates?
bsteltz
billdyson

Post by billdyson »

Thanks very much to carolus for the additional information. I appreciate all of your help very much!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

@steltz: LudwigMasters online catalog - a virtual goldmine of such info.