What is the name of the website?

Moderator: kcleung

bobnotts
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

What is the name of the website?

Post by bobnotts »

This may seem like a strange question but I would like to know what the correct name is for the sheet music website to which this forum is affiliated. It is known variously across the internet and on the website in question as "(The) International Music Score Library Project" (or "IMSLP"), and "(The) Petrucci Music Library" (or "PML"). Is there a definitive answer? I ask because I'm just about to implement two templates across at the Choral Public Domain Library whose names will be based on the name of the website in question.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
CPDL admin
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: What is the name of the website?

Post by Carolus »

"IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library" appears in the main wiki page. This is what I would recommend that you use. The site started out as the "International Music Score Library Project" and became widely known by the acronym "IMSLP" before the "Babylonian Captivity" at the hands of our favorite Viennese publisher in October 2007. After our rebirth (July 2008), we added "Petrucci Music Library" as it is a bit easier to remember than the previous full name.
bobnotts

Post by bobnotts »

Carolus, thank you for your reply, but I was rather hoping for something a bit more specific. I suppose I'm overstepping my original query now by saying that I think that to avoid confusion, a website such as this should only have one name. If "Petrucci Music Library" was adopted since the revival of the site, I would prefer to use that. But since many people still seem to call the site "IMSLP" (and it usually seems to be the abbreviation, not "International Music Score Library Project"), it makes sense to refer to it by that name as well. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Rob
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

Hi Bob,

may I ask if these are the templates to link to equivalent composers and works pages from CPDL to IMSLP? I suggest using initials IMSLP but referring to "the Petrucci Music Library", rather than expanding the five letters out; and interwiki formatted links are better, since names and titles of pages that include diacriticals or other troublesome characters (e.g. any works by Antonín Dvo?ák!) don't have to be translated into ISO-8859-1 equivalents beforehand - the wiki automatically generates the correct url, behind the scene. Besides which, there's already an interwiki link on CPDL for a certain "pml" that does not redirect to here! ;)

As to the question of "overstepping the original query", there was a long-running thread (I'll link to it if I can find it) on the question of the second name. The first name has problems: sure its functional, but it is a bit of a mouthful, and anecdotally, a number of my musically-inclined friends whom I've quizzed will remember the "International" and "Project" at each end, but will usually fudge the order of the middle three words, and the S word isn't always "Score". There's not an easy way to pronounce IMSLP as an acronym ("im-slip" is one of several possibilities) as opposed to an initialism ("eye-em-ess...")

Petrucci Music Library is a much easier title, if not quite as descriptive.

Regards, PML…
--
PML (talk)
noqu
forum adept

Post by noqu »

I used to have the same problems with the acronym until I started pronouncing it "emm-sell-pee" (may have been a suggestion from this forum).
bobnotts

Post by bobnotts »

pml wrote:may I ask if these are the templates to link to equivalent composers and works pages from CPDL to IMSLP? I suggest using initials IMSLP but referring to "the Petrucci Music Library", rather than expanding the five letters out [...] Besides which, there's already an interwiki link on CPDL for a certain "pml" that does not redirect to here! ;)
Thanks for your reply, Philip. Yes, that's exactly what I was asking for and I think your suggestions are sound. I'd forgotton that "PML" is already used for something else but I'll be sure not to make any duplications now!
pml wrote:Petrucci Music Library is a much easier title, if not quite as descriptive.
Yes, I agree which is why I was pushing that name somewhat. Also, I didn't want to use an old name on CPDL which was due to be phased out. People sometimes underestimate the importance of the choice of template names - once the name has been chosen, it's difficult to change.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob