Blank or non-functioning files?

Moderator: kcleung

BethDiane
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Blank or non-functioning files?

Post by BethDiane »

Hello.

Sometimes I will try to access a file and instead of the pdf loading, there will be nothing except a blank screen. This is annoying, and I don't know if it's a problem with my browser or connection, or with the website. What can be done when this happens?

Beth
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Blank or non-functioning files?

Post by daphnis »

Update your browser, then update your version of the official Acrobat Reader/Professional application and try again. Sometimes the plugin (if you're using a browser that supports it) crashes (which usually displays an error message to that effect) and requires that the browser be restarted.
somari

Post by somari »

It may not be any of that because it often happens to me too. e.r.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

That's hardly helpful. If you right-click and choose to download a PDF rather than open it in the browser, and it works, then it's either a browser issue or a PDF reader plugin issue.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

This is going to seem stupidly simple, but I've done it on occasion, so make sure that the problem isn't that page 1 is blank for page turn reasons. Theoretically, odd-numbered pages are supposed to be right-side pages, and even-numbered pages are left-side pages. I've thought a document was blank a couple of times when I was just looking at a blank page 1. :oops:
bsteltz
Mazin
regular poster

Post by Mazin »

steltz wrote:This is going to seem stupidly simple, but I've done it on occasion, so make sure that the problem isn't that page 1 is blank for page turn reasons. Theoretically, odd-numbered pages are supposed to be right-side pages, and even-numbered pages are left-side pages. I've thought a document was blank a couple of times when I was just looking at a blank page 1. :oops:
I'm curious as to why a blank blank first page would be included? I could understand if there was a title page, a blank page, and then the score, but a really blank page seems like an unnecessary inconvenience.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Blank pages for scores ARE pretty much useless, but for parts they are sometimes necessary to ensure page turns occur in the right places.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Eh, well they occasionally make it so if you view the PDF as two pages each, the primo and secundo parts are lined up right.