Recomend me easy piano books!

Moderator: kcleung

Leandrusi
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Recomend me easy piano books!

Post by Leandrusi »

Would you name to me all the pieces/books you know that are easy to play, may be for children or pedagogical. Theyre actually for me, although i have a rather advanced technique my reading skills are still poor and I need really easy pieces to train my first sight reading, but I dont know many works like that.
Would you name me some? OR may be you know something more specific that can help me.
Thanks in advance! :D
NLewis
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Recomend me easy piano books!

Post by NLewis »

Bartok's mikrokosmos is a great place to start. Bartok wrote them for his son in order to help him with piano, so they pretty much cover every technical issue you might have. They are great for sight reading and also great theory exercises. Those would be your best bet.

I hinder to suggest arrangements of real pieces (Beethoven piano sonatas), but you could get kid versions of those types of pieces. Czerny will certainly help sight reading, and not to mention technique. There is a fine book called "scales and chords are fun", which have several short pieces which may be appropriate for what you're looking for. If you're technique and sight reading ability is above those types of works, I may suggest the Clementi Sonatinas.

Cheers,
Nlewis
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Bartók's Mikrokosmos is indeed fantastic.
Also, Schumann's Album for the Young.
And then there's what I call the "progressive Bach course" in this order:
1. Little Preludes and Fugues
2. Inventions
3. Sinfonias
4. Duets
5. Well-Tempered Clavier
6. Partitas/English Suites/etc.
7. Clavierübung II (French Overture, Italian Concerto)
8. Art of Fugue/Fugues from the Musical Offering
9. Goldberg Variations
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

The Clementi sonatinas are a good place to start (specifically Op. 36). The Mikocosmos by Bartok are of course fantastic! I, too, hinder to suggest anything that is a simplified version of a piece, because it ruins the artistry, generally. The Schumann Perlnerd suggested is also great.

There is an exercise book called 'Scales and chords are fun' which is advisable. A good technique book for beginners, and they offer simple pieces (sometimes by real composers... well, if you count Czerny ;) )

Claire De Lune by Debussy is fairly simple, too. Fur Elise... the list goes on. My suggestion is to browse various scores on IMSLP and see what you can play and then try to play them. This will expose you to new composers and make you a better pianist/sight reader.

Good luck,
BKhon