Moderator: kcleung

worov
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

English suite by Bach

Post by worov »

Hi, everybody !

Guifré has uploaded a while ago an edition of Bach's English suite no. 3 in G minor. Its says it's a spanish reprint of the Breitkopf edition, supervised by Busoni, Petri and Mugellini.

However, I have the original volume edited by Breitkopf and I'm surprised. My volume says it is edited by Egon Petri (who died in 1962) and theefore is copyrighted. I can't upload it on IMSLP. If Guifré's file is edited by Petri, it should be copyrighted too.

There are some differences between the two copies. Tempos are very different, fingering is different, so are dynamic markings.

Have a look at the Prelude of the suite. The Barcelona edition from Guifré says Allegro vivace (108). My volume says Allegro e con brio (126).

However, this spanish file does look a lot like the Czerny edition (Peters) I have uploaded yesterday. Same tempo, dynamic markings. Almost same fingering everytime, though there can be some differences on this point.

Can anybody help us to solve this probelm ?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: English suite by Bach

Post by Carolus »

That's very interesting. The Spanish edition indeed looks like it is a modified reprint of the Peters score you uploaded - complete with an 18-page layout. Obviously the library description we previously had for that edition (attributing it to Busoni, et al) was incorrect. I have accordingly removed all the Busoni edition info. Thanks for your expertise.
worov
forum adept

Post by worov »

And do you know which edition is that ?

http://rapidshare.com/files/377595869/E ... n.pdf.html

It's neither Czerny or Busoni-Petri. Its different from both. Could it be in public domain ?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Looks like Muzgiz or Muzyka (different names for the same place, actually) production from the 1960s or maybe 70s. It's free, so I'll post it.
worov
forum adept

Post by worov »

I have found this in googling.

http://www.alib.ru/bs.php4?uid=11777817 ... 5ec4a23854

It talks about a book from 1982. The book deals with J.S. Bach English suites. The word Muzyka appears in the description of the book. Do you think it is what we are looking for ? I can't be sure, I don't understand russian.