free-scores.com

Moderator: kcleung

free-scores.com

Post by Guest »

Have you noticed that free-scores.com is kind of copying imslp? These guys acquired all our pdfs. The day I started uploading scores from University of Rochester, they started too.
What dou you think of this rather weak way of expanding their site? Especially because they are making money of it by advertising, while IMSLP.... actually, how is IMSLP funded? Is it all the sole contribution of Feldmahler? If so, how do you see the future when costs rise?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yes... I know what free-scores.com is doing right now, and I find it very disagreeable that they are doing it due to financial considerations. The amount of ads on their site is, to put it mildly, a lot.

IMSLP is currently funded only by me, but up to now the costs haven't been impossibly high; the hosting costs from the onset to now is around $200. As for the future, I'm fairly optimistic in that I believe hosting costs will go down (or to put it in another way, you'll get more for every dollar you put in, i.e. more bandwidth/space), so I probably won't be asking for donations and such for a while, unless something unexpected happens.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

The webmaster of free-scores.com asked me to clear up the situation here, which is also something I would agree that should be done. So here goes.

Recently, I've had some correspondence with free-scores.com regarding this matter. They have kindly honored my request to stop copying everything new that is submitted to IMSLP, in the view that IMSLP contributors are unhappy about this.

Concerning free-scores.com's financial status, it would probably be best to quote from their reply e-mail:
Concerning the website free-scores.com, yes it is profit activities with 3
dedicated servers and more than 600 € / month of charges.
It could not be an other way...
They have also kindly invited me to submit IMSLP to their sheet music site index, which I did today.

"Peace in our time." (Sorry, just had to say it XD)

Jokes aside, IMSLP and free-scores.com are on good terms now. I was very pleased with their polite and helpful responses.