Lyapunov's Triumphal (or Solemn) Overture

Moderator: kcleung

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Lyapunov's Triumphal (or Solemn) Overture

Post by steltz »

The recently uploaded piano arrangement of Lyapunov's Triumphal Overture is possibly mis-named. Grove Music lists it as "Triumphal", with the subtitle in French using the word "Solennelle", meaning "solemn", not "triumphant". Grove Music lists the op.7 work as "Solemn" Overture.

The file is still blocked for copyright review, so I can't see what's on the title page, but in a way it doesn't matter, since this is an arrangement, and title and tags need to be for the original work.

Any of our Russophiles know this work and what the original title and accurate translation would be?
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Lyapunov's Triumphal (or Solemn) Overture

Post by Davydov »

The LC uses "Torzhestvennaia uvertiura na russkie temy", which term would usually be translated as "Festival Overture on Russian Themes" (as in Shostakovich's "Torchestvannaia uvertiura" / Festival Overture). However, Liapunov's overture most commonly called "Triumphal Overture", so it might be best to leave things be.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Sorry, I made a mistake in the first post. Grove does use the "Solemn" word in the title, which is what worried me.
bsteltz
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Davydov wrote:The LC uses "Torzhestvennaia uvertiura na russkie temy"
According to the Oxford Russian Dictionary, the adjective торжественный (torzhestvennyi) means either "ceremonial, festive" or "solemn". The Russian Wikipedia on the other hand lists the work as "Праздничная увертюра на русские темы" ("Prazdnichnaia uvertiura na russkie temy"), where праздничный translates as "holiday" or "festive".

Not sure if that's of any help...
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

The first edition was published by Jurgenson in 1899 with the title in Russian and French as "Торжественная увертюра на русские темы для большого оркестра. Ор. 7 / Ouverture solennelle sur des thêmes russes pour grand orchestra". I can't trace any edition with the "holiday" title, so Russian Wikipedia might not be too reliable.

"Торжественная увертюра / Ouverture solennelle" is the same title given to Shostakovich's Festival Overture, and the sub-title of Tchaikovsky's 1812 (also usually rendered as "Festival Overture" in English). But in the case of the Liapunov piece, the adjectives "Triumphant", "Triumphal" and "Solemn" all seem to be used, with no clear consensus as to the 'correct' translaton.