Page visits

Moderator: kcleung

Fynnjamin
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Page visits

Post by Fynnjamin »

Is it just me or has the text gone that states how often a page has been viewed?
Boccaccio
forum adept

Re: Page visits

Post by Boccaccio »

It's gone for me, too!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I think Feldmahler changed it in one of his recent upgrades. I kind of miss it, actually...
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

I find it useful/interesting to know how often a piece that I've submitted has been viewed...
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Me four.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Actually, a more useful count would be a number for each file on a work page to show how many times the link for the file has been clicked on (and presumably downloaded).
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
imslp-eu
regular poster

Post by imslp-eu »

I presume that Feldmahler may have deactivated the hit counter on each wiki page as it is well known for being a very resource-demanding function for the MediaWiki software. This is the reason why it is also deactivated on Wikipedia. As some server errors have been reported, it may be quite logical to deactivate a resource-demanding function and check whether the situation improves.
Lyle Neff wrote:a more useful count would be a number for each file on a work page to show how many times the link for the file has been clicked on (and presumably downloaded).
I agree. I think I can implement this counter at IMSLP-EU, but limited to IMSLP-EU scores.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Wow, Choralia (imslp-eu) nailed it. I discovered that the hit counter was the main cause of 503 errors, and the errors have been drastically reduced since I disabled it. I will be providing a per-file download counter in the near future.
imslp-eu
regular poster

Post by imslp-eu »

I've just activated a download counter at IMSLP-EU. The number of downloads is not yet visible through the user interface, however the data are stored in a database, so that they can be reported through the wiki at a later time.

Please report any malfunctioning at IMSLP-EU, which may represent a regression due to the activation of this counter.