Symphony Parts

Moderator: kcleung

Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

I read more about copyfraud, and while the false copyright statements are not illegal, anyone who misrepresents that material is infringing is liable for any damages ($ 512f) (see here). That's a little reassuring.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I don't really understand that, I'm afraid. Could you clarify a bit?
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

ras1 wrote:I've been removing all the logos. It seems like a pretty dirty trick to sell PD music, and say on the CD that "by opening these files you agree not to remove the logos or copy them." They also claim to have added "many editorial additions," but I've compared with the original B&H score for a couple of the pieces, and that's absolutely false. They were identical.
I think these are just scare tactics. They may add watermarks, logos, headers or footers. But as long as no alterations are being made to the actual music itself, they can't claim copyright if the music was already PD.
kendrickkoo

Post by kendrickkoo »

they do have some stravinsky and schoenberg which i believe are non-public domain? i assume they had to have gotten permission for those?
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

It depends. Works by Stravinsky and Shostakovich which are published before 1923 are PD in the United States.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

ras1 wrote:I don't really understand that, I'm afraid. Could you clarify a bit?
Companies that send C&D letters or threats knowing that the work in question is not infringed, can be sued for paying damages. It happened to Diebold: http://www.eff.org/cases/online-policy-group-v-diebold