Godard, Valse op.116, Suite de Trois Morceaux

Moderator: kcleung

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Godard, Valse op.116, Suite de Trois Morceaux

Post by steltz »

I am having trouble tagging something an uploader entitled "Suite for Flute and Orchestra, op.116".

Grove lists op.116 as a "Valse, pf, cl, op.116 (n.d.)", but when I downloaded our Suite for Flute and Orchestra op.116, it is most definitely the waltz from the Suite de 3 morceaux for flute and piano. (Grove also lists a Suite de 3 morceaux for violin and piano, but it has an opus number, 78.)

So:
1) Does anyone in the IMSLP community have access to the original Valse for clarinet and piano op.116? And is it the same as the Valse from the Suite de 3 morceaux for flute? (I wouldn't mind an upload of that if possible, but for the moment I just need to know if the one derives from the other.)
2) Is the flute Suite de Trois Morceaux derived from the violin Suite de Trois Morceaux? (Wouldn't be the first time a composer used the same title for different pieces -- a colleague of mine was supposed to accompany a violinist on Penderecki's Three Miniatures, and we didn't have the music, so he thought he might be able to practice the accompaniment to the Three Miniatures for clarinet. No luck, they really are different pieces!)

Finally, IMSLP doesn't appear to have either the flute or the violin suite, so an upload would be nice.

[Edit: Just went to WorldCat. They give the flute Suite de 3 morceaux the opus number of 116, but it's odd that Grove doesn't . . . . .]
bsteltz
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Godard, Valse op.116, Suite de Trois Morceaux

Post by daphnis »

If you have access to a well-stocked library or an interlibrary loan service, there is a thematic catalogue of Godard out there although I can't seem to find the author at present. Perhaps this would have the answers.