New Main Page full redesign project

Moderator: kcleung

vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: New Main Page full redesign project

Post by vinteuil »

Safari has the same problem—the focus is weird for the search box.
I liked sandbox3 better :P:P:P
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

A few questions:

1. Would it be possible to replace the floral-type scroll device presently in the upper LH corner with the ornate character in the current logo taken from the Ottaviano Petrucci example - using the same gray and white color scheme you are using here?

2. Along the same lines, would it be possible to use the music example in the current logo as a subtle background against the gradient?

3. While retaining the name configuration you have (IMSLP on top in large letters, Petrucci Music Library beneath in smaller letters), could the typeface be changed to the one used in the current logo (which appears to be a Garamond or something close)?

I've had much positive feedback from the anniversary logo that Philidor designed (the one which appears on the main page at present), so I was thinking that taking the three steps above would be a way in which the simplicity of the new design could be implemented as we retain the unique character of the logo design which is presently in use.
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

focus should be fixed. Let me know if it is correct for safari.

As for the different design ideas, I like a lot of things about sandbox3 as well, but this could go on indefinitely looking for a more perfect design. I think we can agree there are enough good things about the sandbox2 design to like and since multiple people seem to want a different font (i agree too) i'll try that out with Garamond. I would be in favor of incorporating the banner element if i thought there was some way to do it but I don't think it fits with the new layout. It doesn't look like much by itself and if we used more decorative context it begins to draw attention away from the rest of the page (which should be more important than the logo visually) It's too busy and while it makes for a nice banner on the current mainpage it's one of those things (like the painting) that I can't see a compelling case to bring into the new design other than it was part of the old one. And I don't think that's a good enough reason by itself. That was why I used a very unimposing scroll art piece that wasnt' too frilly so that it's more background than "logo".

I think it would be a great idea to have a logo for IMSLP but that seems like a project (much like the redesign) that doesn't lend itself well to crowd approval. I think it's a better candidate for delegation (like the redesign) rather than trying to find something "everyone" will like, or even "most people", which i think is too difficult a standard.

With group projects I think it's important to keep a healthy dose of "good enough" in mind. :)

More thoughts and suggestions are still welcome of course. Let's get this thing done!
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

i'm trying the mainpage banner logo right now and the problem i'm having is that it looks like an item and not a border so it's not seeming to fit in well. Here's what it looks like in context:

It could be a different size, but it actually looked worse smaller. One problem is we don't have a high enough resolution original though i can fake it a bit. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but i'm not really in love with it. I feel functionally the border style is a better way to go but i can see this way has some interest to it too.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Focus is fixed on safari
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

font change made. Also changed it for the public domain line above search box. thoughts?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Definitely like the font change. I see your point about the ornamental cap resolution. The full-resolution for the ornamental A is to be found here. Perhaps that could help.
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

Do you like the look enough to want it changed though? Other voices on this?
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

oh that's supposed to be an A? i could never tell! I'm not sure how important the letter A is to IMSLP. Maybe if they had an I? *kidding*
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

The A refers to Volume A of Ottaviano Petrucci’s Harmonice Musices Odhecaton, the first modern music printing from Venice, AD 1501.

I notice the background hasn’t been neutralised, in the screen shot it is partially blocking out the number of works on IMSLP.

Has the new layout been checked on limited fixed-width browsers like iPhones and Androids?

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

that wasn't a screen shot. that was just a photoshop job to show what the icon would look like in context. You can always check the sandbox2 page for the current version which hasn't changed except the font.

Also, the page is fully scalable so the layout should come out properly on all browsers - phone or otherwise.
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

Carolus wrote:I've had much positive feedback from the anniversary logo that Philidor designed...
Actually, it was my g/f who designed it. She's a pro designer so somewhere on her computer she'll have a high-res copy of the Petrucci "A". Just say if you'd like me to ask her to dig it out.

icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

well can we put it to some sort of vote? if enough people prefer the A over the current design I'd be convinced. It's growing on me. I would suggest the size of the A shown in my post above would be the one to vote on versus the current design (here's the link one more time:http://imslp.org/wiki/User:Icactus/sandbox2)

Overall i still think the current design serves the layout better by framing the page instead of "logo stamping" the page as the A would.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I like the A as well, though I would prefer the "Sharing the World's Public Domain Music" to not cover it up at all. The current corner design isn't obscured at all, though the colouring makes it very subtle. Since the A is the logo on the mug, that would also be nice, but can the wording be moved down?
bsteltz
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

Icactus, just to say your page looks great: cleaner than the existing page (but I also like the "A" :mrgreen: ) which I suspect has grown organically over time. You're actually doing something quite difficult: re-designing a key webpage for a big collaborative venture. If IMSLP was a private company there'd be many fewer pressures on you. Basically, you'd just need the private agreement of the Chairman and a couple of key directors and your design would slip through. Anyone who didn't like it would keep their mouths shut... or pretend to like it (otherwise known as "lying") in order to suck up to senior management and advance their careers. The "collaborative method" is always more difficult but, ultimately, more rewarding and healthier. You probably know all that but it's worth pointing out!