New Main Page full redesign project

Moderator: kcleung

feldmahler
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: New Main Page full redesign project

Post by feldmahler »

Let's go with the accordion font. I think it looks nicer than the default. On the other hand, I'm not sure we need to have the same font for the Title of the main page, so I'll leave that to your discretion.

Regarding the CSS, they are indeed included in a separate CSS file. Feel free to override any part of it if you want. The reason it isn't in Common.css is because it is massive. Also, in a few months with the upgrade, there will specifically be a system to manage such external CSS/JS files, so I'm hopeful that the load times will improve soon.
This is the alternate account for "imslp". (Admins: please do not add any privileges to this account.)
helenyhou

Post by helenyhou »

Ooo the accordion looks great! You're probably right about the browse boxes - like I said, that's just personal preference :)

Lucida Grande looks great on the Mac, but the weights (normal/bold/italic) are a little funky on the PC with Lucida Sans/Lucida Sans Unicode. It's a really commonly used font, so I'm sure people are used to it and the general population won't ever notice font weight issues. I'd double check it in all languages, though, as you might need to define Lucida Sans Unicode first to get all the characters you need. More about the Lucida thing: http://www.brownbatterystudios.com/sixt ... ternative/
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

modified design to match accordions: http://imslp.org/wiki/User:Icactus/sandbox2

I think we're finally into the home stretch...

Thoughts?? Anything left?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Gorgeous :D
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Beautiful. Fantastic design.
feldmahler
regular poster

Post by feldmahler »

Icactus, is it possible to specify several fallback fonts (like the accordion)? I was looking at the page on Firefox in linux and the system doesn't have the font you specify (I see Arial).
This is the alternate account for "imslp". (Admins: please do not add any privileges to this account.)
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

you mean for the body or for the title? I'll just drop the font tags in the body since it looks like we've converted everything into lucida now. (I actually find the new font hard to read as it is very spaced out. Maybe it looks better on non-windows OS though...)

If it's for the title Garamond font i'll find a serif substitute.
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

also looks like the font-size:xxx% issue of large text over-lapping itself is fixed. just by chance or intentional?
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

ok - full font backups in place. I've run out of things to clean up/check/double-check. Page looks ready to go...
feldmahler
regular poster

Post by feldmahler »

Great! font-size issue resolution is probably semi-unintentional.

One question: the background gradient color looks different for the "A" compared to the rest of the header; is that intentional?
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

really? the color looks exactly the same to me. I messed with contrast to see if it was slightly off but they're exact. I changed both images since the original gradient so maybe you have the old color image cached somehow? that doesn't really make sense but it's my best guess...

Anyone else experiencing that?
helenyhou

Post by helenyhou »

Is there any way to get rid of the orange arrows onthe boxes that don't collapse, e.g. The bottom 3? It's a little misleading. I'd poke at it myself but my Internet has conveniently decided that now is a good time to take a break from working :(
feldmahler
regular poster

Post by feldmahler »

In the latest round of whack-the-mole, the gradient is now fine (I don't know what happened), but the header lines with large fonts are now overlapping each other in both Chrome and Opera (if not others).
Peterdyson49
forum adept

Post by Peterdyson49 »

Just to say.... I appreciate all the discussion that is taking place to try and find a consensus on what will be a subjective view. Difficult isn't it!

When I found the site... did I really worry too much about how to find my way about it? I don't think so..Do I get annoyed about some inconveniences of navigation backwards and forwards?.....Not really. When I am uploading I usually sign up twice so I can work on one page and double check around that I am doing it right on the other... does it bother me?.... Well ... no.. because at the end of the day it is about the treasures that are there to be found... and that is what is important.... getting to the scores (and the parts and the recordings).

So this is just to affirm your stewardship... even if not everyone is going to be pleased with the result. Keep struggling with it and you'll get there in the end.... and then someone will come up with another brilliant idea... and that's okay.

The easier it gets.... that will be fine... and some no doubt will have nostalgia for how it used to look... and that is okay because it will show that this is not a library gathering dust,,, but a living vibrant idea opening up access to what we could not dream about.

Going off topic for a moment... I am tempted to tell a story about super copyright.... which I had better disguise a bit. I needed to make a performing edition. The original score (and parts) were in a theatre library... an accident of history... for it ought to have been in a national library. After two months discussion I was refused access on the grounds that the last person granted access had "stolen" a score ie copied a public domain work and performed it before the theatre. Fortunately the National Library in Vienna ( I think) sent me a microfilm which allowed me to reconstruct a set of parts. The point of the story is just to remind everyone that there is still a lot of treasure out there... and if we can have fool's guides to advise us what open source software to use to reduce pdf file sizes and advice for those of us still stuck with XP and a simple scanner and little technical knowledge then a lot of us have a lot of scores sitting on our shelves coming into public domain in the next twenty years or so.... and we just need a little push to join that growing band of contributors.

So don't worry too much about making it perfect this week! There is always next week! You have created a community but I am happy that some of you take initiatives and with those that are taking subjective decisions. I remain in awe of the musical and historical knowledge displayed and grateful for those with the techical expertise I shall never acquire.

Thanks

Peter Dyson
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

ARG! This is the font-size problem rearing its head. For some reason Firefox now handles the spacing differently than Chrome, opera, etc. This started after the font change, but i imagine it can be fixed by using "line-height" commands and that should read the same among all browsers....

I'm on it....................................