IMSLP in Russian

Moderator: kcleung

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP in Russian

Post by haydenmuhl »

Jean-Séb wrote:Thank you for the link and the interesting discussion there, but the legal grounds are totally different between the rights for a data base and the rights for reproductions of images. Their only common point is that many complain about them!
Except that's not all they have in common. The library in that thread has a *database* of public domain images, which users if IMSLP wanted access to for the purpose of duplicating them and hosting them on IMSLP. That is exactly what imslp.ru is doing to imslp.org.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

KGill is correct that imslp.ru is completely unaffiliated with IMSLP or Project Petrucci LLC. I've known about this site for a while, but I'm not entirely sure what can be done given that they are located in Russia, and I'm not sure IMSLP has a trademark claim in Russia (though it does in the US, albeit not registered). I might send them a note though.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I think is is 100% OK for them to host public domain music just as it is for us to do so here at IMSLP... only maybe they could come up with a more original name to avoid confusion.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yes, that is my concern as well.