Incomplete scan of Liszt-Schubert

Moderator: kcleung

Eflatmajor
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Incomplete scan of Liszt-Schubert

Post by Eflatmajor »

Good morning
I don't know if this is the right place to post but I've noticed that this file is incomplete: Mélodies hongroises d'après Franz Schubert, S.425 (Liszt, Franz)
On the last page it appears that the conclusion is missing: there is no ending bar and the printing suggests that piece continues on the next page.
Here is the link for anyone what wants to check: http://imslp.org/wiki/M%C3%A9lodies_hon ... zt,_Franz)
I don't know if this is a printing error, an incomplete scan or the piece really ends there therefore i present the matter to the IMSLP staff.
Thank you and good day.

P.S
In case of error forgive me for the disturb.
Last edited by cypressdome on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix broken link
Eric
active poster

Re: Incomplete scan of Liszt-Schubert

Post by Eric »

hrm. this is the exact score as we got it from Juilliard- 76 pages, exact no. bytes, etc., I think... going back to Juilliard and downloading their copy, their copy ends on page 39, with a very odd cadence followed by a double bar (yes, some space after the double bar but I've seen that at the end of scores too...) that is, however, in G minor (the section, not the cadence...) (and the 2 flats suggest that's where we are- yes, I know 2 flats could mean C minor in earlier eras and so that could have been a dominant chord of C minor ... but... no... I think it's a weird-rhythm tonic cadence of G minor, picardy third. There's a recording (poorly-reviewed, if I recall at all correctly, which I am not sure I do- that instalment, not the cycle it's in!) of the Schubert-Liszt in Leslie Howard's big Hyperion Liszt cycle ("The Schubert Transcriptions. 1, volume 31"); and there might be one in the Naxos Liszt cycle too by now- in any case there's surely a recording of this work in both its 1840 and 1846 versions (this score is the 1840 version. Mostly the 1846 version heard there since apparently the 1840 edition differs mainly? entirely?? in the second of the three movements, which is included as track 5 of the 3rd CD of that set). Should be possible to see how it sounds at a library or something, or by downloading at a moderate fee... (it says that there's a discount for volume 31.)

(The "download PDFs/artwork" PDF on the side of that same page contains some information, as usual for Hyperion CDs, though not as much as I'd hoped. Still, also worth looking at, as often with Leslie Howard's notes to his Liszt CDs.)
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Youtube listening confirms that the music is complete as is, printing vagaries notwithstanding.
Eflatmajor

Post by Eflatmajor »

Thank you all :D