Add a category "Easy violin pieces"

Moderator: kcleung

Ravpapa
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Add a category "Easy violin pieces"

Post by Ravpapa »

I want to add a category "Easy violin pieces" and start identifying these. This category would be a great service to all of us teachers of beginners.

But, alas, I couldn't figure out how to add a category, and how to add categories to pages. In Wikipedia this is all pretty simple, but here I couldn't find the categories on the edit page at all - just a template.

Help will be appreciated.

Ravpapa
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Add a category "Easy violin pieces"

Post by cypressdome »

Hi Ravpapa,

I know this has been discussed before both here and on the wiki and it would benefit many users so let's try something (even if it isn't the best solution). I've created a template ({{EVln}}) and a category page Easy Works for Violin. My suggestion would be to place the template in one of two places on a work page depending on whether the work is an original "easy" composition or an arrangement in an "easier" manner than the original (or an arrangement of a part of a larger work). In the first case I'd suggest using the template in the General Information section. Create a new line starting with |Extra Information= and then input the template. An example can be seen on Bohlmann's Lyrische Stückchen page. Also, I'd suggest if you have additional information such as the position in which the work can be played to include that after the template. Perhaps, in the future we could include templates for works in the various positions and that information would obviously be helpful. In cases of an "easy" arrangement I'd suggest placing the template in the Misc. Notes line within the section of the work page for the files for that particular arrangement. Even though on the Easy Works for Violin category page you would see the name of the original entire work (i.e. Le nozze di Figaro, K.492 (Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus)) at least when you click over to the Figaro page you could do a text search for "Easy Works..." to easily find it. Wish I could find an example to create on the wiki but I'm not having any luck.
Ravpapa
regular poster

Re: Add a category "Easy violin pieces"

Post by Ravpapa »

Got it! Started work. Thanks

ravpapa