nlib.org.ua

Moderator: kcleung

matthew
forum adept

nlib.org.ua

Post by matthew »

Is this site ok for taking music from and uploaing here? Especially the re-typeset stuff (like scarlatti sonatas).

If it is ok to get stuff from, i may try and get the set of scarlatti sonatas there (450 out of 550) if people want these.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

nlib.org.ua

Post by Carolus »

I just looked at one of the files (Sonata #15) from there. It appears, at first glace, to be a Muzika (Soviet) reprint of the Longo edition, which was first issued by Ricordi around WWI. Longo died in 1945 and would therefore be PD in Canada. Publication before 1923 would make it PD in the USA (Dover has reprinted this edition, among others). Possibly protected in EU.

If there are re-engraved (=retypeset) scores in that collection, you'd have to see if there is an editor listed. (I didn't see any listed on No. 15, and I can read enough Russian to understand the titles and basic information.) If they're doing something similar to Mutopia and re-engraving a PD edition - no problem. If we confirm that the Sonatas are all edited by Longo, whether scans or re-engravings, just include the "FileNonPD-EU" template after to upload the files.
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

What about the nlib.org.ua banner things at the bottom?

And do people want the sonatas? If not there's no point getting them and i'll help with the BGA project.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I think the Scarlatti Sonatas would be a great addition. They've been mainstays in the keyboard literature for many decades, appearing on numerous recitals to this day.

As for the banner, it's up to you. Personally, I'd strip it out alomg with the Russian titles and insert my own titles and page numbers, simply including the the nlib.org.ua in the file description as "scanner." As long as you don't reproduce a logo (which includes the organization name in the particular typeface they used), you're free to include as much extraneous stuff as you like. One of my major complaints against some scanners is their habit of eliminating the original titling, plate numbers, copyright notice and publisher name. This information is often crucial in determining an edition's publication date - a major factor in copyright status in the USA.
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

And how can I strip out the russian and put in titles and page numbers for 1700+ pages?
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

I have now got 32 of the sonatas, and it's looking like i'll b able to get at least 30 per day, quite possibly more, at that rate i should have the whole lot within 3 weeks.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

If you happen to own the PDF plug-in PitStop (an expensive plug-in for the Professional version of Acrobat), it's possible to strip out all the footers in a given document with a few commands. There are probably other PDF utilities out there which will do the same for a lot less. You might try asling around at some PDF forums, etc.

At ant rate, the addition of Scarlatti Sonatas will be a good one for IMSLP, IMO. Thanks for taking the time and effort to add them. I'll try and do a bit more research to confirm that the Soviets reprinted the Longo edition. The example I downloaded is not the typical engraving produced by Muzika. It looks much more like the product of Ricordi, hence my theory that they reprinted the Longo edition.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Here's the basic info on the Longo edition of the Scarlatti Sonatas:

Editor: Alessandro Longo (1864-1945)
Publisher: Milan: G. Ricordi, 1906-1910
10 volumes + supplement (500 sonatas plus 45 addtional works)
Plate numbers (sequential) E.R. 541 - E.R. 551
50 Sonatas per volume (I = 1-50; II = 51-100, etc.)
Supplement (Vol. XI = 45 addtional works)

A selection of 25 sonatas was issued in 1916 (Plate # E.R. 463, 107p.)

Reprinted by Dover, Kalmus-Belwin, Schirmer/Hal Leonard

Public Domain in USA and Canada for sure, likely PD elsewhere.
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

So they are deffinately ok to upload. I have found a way of removing the russian titles etc, so the first lot of 50 should be up within a week. Hopefully....