Michael Haydn B-flat "Salve Regina"

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Michael Haydn B-flat "Salve Regina"

Post by Eric »

Near as I can tell, this a cappella "Michael Haydn" piece originally from WIMA is based on ms. copies that, according to RISM, is attributed to several composers, either Francesco Morlacchi (in a 1812 abschrift) or "Haydn" (1850 abschrift) (see external links, and forum post linked to workpage) but no sources attributing it specifically to Michael Haydn are mentioned. Unless someone can clarify further why this has been put in the Michael Haydn category, I'd like to know where this -should- go - maybe the "Anonymous" category, or something?...

Thanks-

Eric S.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Michael Haydn B-flat "Salve Regina"

Post by Carolus »

It seems to me that you could make a much stronger case for an attribution to Morlacchi - keeping in mind that it is merely attributed to him and not actually confirmed as being composed by him. I think that's probably a better solution that tossing it into the vast pot of "Anonymous" (the most prolific of all composers according to some!)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I disagree with them; Anonymous is but 2nd most prolific, after Lost/Destroyed (if they may be combined).

As to Morlacchi, I don't know his style well enough to say, but maybe so. Especially since it already has a catalogue number- it could be moved to

Salve Regina in C major, BruM 191 (Morlacchi, Francesco)

or something like that... (BruM from Brumana, Biancamaria (1987), "Catalogo delle composizioni musicali di Francesco Morlacchi (1784-1841)".)
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

A RISM search with the first 11 notes and "salve regina"gives 9x Morlacchi, 1x "Haydn", 1xGeorg Valentin Röder, nothing in B flat major. So the title of
the workpage should be change in "Salve Regina in C major" and probably with Morlacchi as composer.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Whatever is chosen, I think the Mbox feature at the top that gives an info box would be a very good idea, to say that attribution is not verified.
bsteltz
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

I moved the page to Salve Regina in C major and added a Mbox, but i would prefer the composer Morlacchi. This has to be done
by an admin, if it includes the deletion of the old workpage in the category of M. Haydn.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

I've moved the page, which consequently required the Mbox and note at the end of the page to be rewritten. I hope I've done this correctly, based on the above discussions.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Thanks! Hope it's ok I "fixed" the multiple redirects. I was going to add the BruM numbers but they seem to be maybe ambiguous after all (191 and 197 both have openings that match), and one can't tell for sure from the RISM incipits whether a piece really is the same, or just begins the same- it would be good to actually have access to the Morlacchi works in whole, not just their openings. Odd! Not -so- long ago I would have been- well, still am, but - well- would have been stunned by the idea of music I was interested in being available in digital form online at all; now I am so demanding :D )

ES