Music publisher catalogs

Moderator: kcleung

kosboot
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Music publisher catalogs

Post by kosboot »

I have access to quite a few music publisher catalogs (those that are public domain of course). I see there are some catalogs on IMSLP. Is there any interest in this kind of material? If it is of interest (or even limited interest), could anyone specify what kind of catalogs would be useful to have on the site?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Music publisher catalogs

Post by Carolus »

Yes, definitely. They can be extremely useful in proving date of publication (even the listing of a work in a catalog constitutes publication). There is already a page where we have a fair number under the notorious "Various" section - Publishers’ Catalogues (Various)
kosboot
forum adept

Post by kosboot »

Thanks Carolus!
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by homerdundas »

Carolus, while we are on the subject, what exactly is the copyright status of publishers' catalogues? Are they treated as simple data (i.e. not really copyrightable) or perhaps an artistically chosen repertoire (copyrightable). Also, is there any interest in hosting the catalogue excerpts that one usually finds at the end of scores and parts. (... I think you called them 'broadsheets' at one time). I usually ignore them - I assume that there are more complete catalogue versions elsewhere, but some seem interesting, e.g. from some of the 18th and 19th century editions that I have uploaded from time to time. These presumably could be separated and posted somewhere. Thanks.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I am treating them as simple data - no originality of compilation, etc. The only possible exception to this I can think of is if an extensive description of something has been provided. Listings of composers, titles, formats and prices are just facts and figures. Broadsides can be very useful from the view of establishing a date of first publication along with the catalogs. We all-too-often see cases of publishers making separate claims for publication of full scores - even decades later - than for the vocal scores which were created from them. A broadside advertising a full score and parts helps to establish the actual date of first publication as much earlier for something of this nature.