Attribution of Internet Archive scans

Moderator: kcleung

Feduol
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Attribution of Internet Archive scans

Post by Feduol »

Rethinking about the Internet Archive: I have seen that in 100% cases the original provenance is attributed. A suggestion: if the "scanned by" field change to "mirrored by"? It's understandable that worry from the libraries, but if there are complaints about scanning attribution, we can conclude they aren't against the presence of the files on IMSLP. So it won't be easier to these libraries send the files themselves with all references instead of another person with no relation to them?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

It can't be 100%, because my second click gave me this:

http://imslp.org/wiki/100_Tunes,_with_H ... ry_John%29

and I don't see the scanning library there.

As far as changing a field to "mirrored", I see other pages, like:

http://imslp.org/wiki/10_Classics_for_H ... ude_Ina%29

where the scanning library is attributed and it still comes up on the list for Internet Archive. I'm not sure how it works, because on the edit page I don't see BYU anywhere, but it seems to have worked correctly, because both BYU and Internet Archive are there.
bsteltz
Feduol
forum adept

Post by Feduol »

Hi Steltz,

I'm sorry about my statement, I can't be 100% sure about the mention of scanning library. What I'd like to say that all cases I saw from Internet Archive, which are a small portion of course, there are that mention. Regarding the Gauntlett's 100 Tunes, with Hymns for the Year the IA template is filled with "#page/n3/mode/2up", so the redirection in made to the book scanning directly. If we go to IA work page (https://archive.org/details/onedtunes00gaun), we can see the Princeton Theological Seminary Library as the scanner.

Feldmahler has created a FTE function some days ago (see some posts above), maybe it's because you see BYU as scanner even if the template used is that from IA.

Regards,
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks for that clarification, but ideally, the pages should look like the other one, where the scanning library is in the "PDF scanned by:" field, and the Internet Archive is in the fields below.
bsteltz
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

steltz wrote:It can't be 100%, because my second click gave me this:

http://imslp.org/wiki/100_Tunes,_with_H ... ry_John%29

and I don't see the scanning library there.
This is because the template only shows source names less than 19 characters long without an abbreviation definition; it defaults to "Internet Archive" otherwise (as I mentioned in a previous post). "Princeton Theological Seminary Library" is too long without an abbreviation definition.

You need to edit the FTE template directly to add abbreviations: http://imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:iarchlib Cypressdome already added a few commonly used ones.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

I rather like the idea of using the RISM Library Sigla within external library/scanner templates to standardize what text is used to identify these sources. As it is we are having to truncate many library and university names to fit within that field almost to the point that some become hard to identify. I've modified the LLB template to use the sigla and also to use a tooltip to provide the full name of the library. It can be seen in action on the page for Rubinstein's Romance et caprice. It should be just as easy to modify all the external library/scanner templates to do the same.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I think that using the sigla is an excellent idea. It's a widely used abbreviation system (Grove and other publications use it along with libraries themselves) which also happens to fit into the limitations of that field, which was a lot less limited when this site started but got squeezed as more features were added over time.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I also like the idea of the sigla.
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Sounds good. Shall we implement Cypressdome's template suggestion then?
Feduol
forum adept

Post by Feduol »

It'd be a very good feature.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

The templates have now been updated (excepting those projects which don't have an RISM sigla, like Bach Digiital).