Moderator: kcleung

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Prokofiev, Peter and the Wolf

Post by steltz »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7221

Others have complained about the quality of the Matthew Curtis/Philipp Maier typeset of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, so it isn't just the clarinet part.

The typesetting guidelines say "a typeset with major flaws that could cause potential problems in rehearsals and/or performances should be fixed or deleted." I have posted on the uploader's page that this typeset should be proofread and fixed, but that was almost a year ago, and there are no replies, and the parts have not been fixed.

M.Kowalski has now uploaded the original Gutheil parts, so could we consider deleting the Curtis/Maier edition?
bsteltz
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Prokofiev, Peter and the Wolf

Post by daphnis »

I vote to remove. These cause more harm than good, especially now that the Gutheil parts are available.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

The user who uploaded the typeset parts hasn't been active on the site in nearly five years and hasn't responded to a previous inquiry regarding problems with the parts. Since it doesn't look like he'll be either uploading a revision or making the engraving files available for others to revise them I would say if the general consensus is that the parts do more harm than good then let's remove them.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Hi everyone for Kowlawski's files, the Gutheil parts, I just fixed the orientation on his files to the correct orientation for viewing purposes! I don't know why but for some of his uploads he has his files for other orchestral part sets at the wrong orientation (turned 90 degrees), can be annoying if you want to just look at them! Now the only thing I would request is for some one to clean out all the written in markings for the sake of clean parts! I don't really have any software to whiteout marking unforinately. I can cover the artifacts with white text boxes but that does not get rid of the markings on the page!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

For taking out written-in markings, I would suggest that the cleaned files be uploaded separately from the marked-up ones already present. Admittedly it's not such a godsend when you just have the scans, but previous musicians' markings--if they don't obscure the original too much--can be invaluable in rehearsal, especially when either the engraving or your particular copy is very 'white'. An example of this is the CDSM parts we've got for stuff like the Mozart symphonies, which as-is require quite a bit of pencilled additions to become particularly user-friendly. Even worse are the ones for the Slavonic Dances, which have neither measure numbers nor rehearsal markings (!!) making them rather painful to use out of the box. At least they're short, though, and may only require simple amendment: for something like a longer dramatic work the advantage of used parts can be significant.

I just think there is some definite value in having marked parts available, even if they are only scans.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

I can agree with this KGill, as written in marking can be useful to have, especially for rehearsal sake. But for basic reasons for IMSLP and getting access to music and that we don't have exactly yet still have a clean authentic set of Peter and the Wolf with no markings and no errors (even though this sometimes can be impossible to always achieve with parts like theses more closer to urtext editions) it is better to have clean parts that match with a clean score because then you see what the original composer's intentions are for when he/she publish the piece! Also it would be better to have a clean score to add in your own markings/ideas to help you with the performance. I guess this would be more on the line of thinking of a First Edition set but with the markings, it would make it look like some anonymous person added in his own markings (which is the case with this) but we would have no idea who wrote in the markings. You the player or conductor on the other hand may have no idea what that person wrote in the music to understand what that person (when he/she was performing/rehearsing the music) was trying to understand for him or herself. I can make the exception for famous conductors or players such as Bernstein's markings on the NYPO's digital achieve can be of value (even though his markings are copyrighted still). I am glad though we have a part set to this great piece and it will serve the music community for years to come but in the end, I would like to see a clean set at least!