Request To Submit a Synthesized Performance

Moderator: kcleung

mike100
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Request To Submit a Synthesized Performance

Post by mike100 »

Hi,

I would like to start submitting synthesized performances of some works from the symphonic organ literature (e.g. composers such as Widor and Vierne) and transcriptions of orchestral music for organ (e.g. Lamare's transcriptions of Wagner).

I am using the Hauptwerk pipe organ synthesizer software (www.hauptwerk.com), a professional grade organ synthesizer, together with the sampleset of the organ in the Bela Bartok concert hall, Palace of Arts, Budapest (Professional version); this is a modern symphonic organ (5 manuals, 80 stops) capable of the range of sounds required by these works. I own this software and have full performance rights. This is the same technology used in digital organs and the result is indistinguishable from a CD recording (within the limits of an MP3 rendering).

My performances are done with great care to follow the composer's intentions. My hope is that hearing a faithful performance that is sonically realistic will interest other musicians and listeners in this repertoire.

I tried attaching my first intended contribution (Widor Organ Symphony #5, movement 2), but MP3 files are not permitted as attachments. Is there someone or somewhere I could send this to for your consideration?

Thanks.

Mike.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Request To Submit a Synthesized Performance

Post by coulonnus »

I found an MP3 here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Trio_No.1,_ ... hn,_Felix) In Add File, Add Recording, did you add to tab Recordings or Synthethized/Midi?
mike100

Post by mike100 »

Hi Coulonnus,

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my posting. I was requesting a moderator's approval to submit a synthesized MIDI performance. When you go to submit an MP3 there is a warning that the submitter must have prior approval from a moderator for a MIDI performance.

So this isn't a technical issue. My comment about not being able to attach an MP3 was about attaching an MP3 to a posting in the forum, not to the WIKI.

Thanks.

Mike.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

@mike100: No problem with the type of thing you're doing. The general rule is that we don't allow MIDI files, or low-quality audios generated from them, of standard-repertoire pieces. This is especially true in the case where we already have a perfectly fine recording of a real performance. Why on earth would anyone care to listen to a Beethoven symphony on a fake-accordion/kazoo sound generated from a MIDI file when you can hear the real thing? That's not what you've done with the Widor. You've taken the time to use the MIDI in combination with some good-quality sound-samples to present something that gives as sense of the real thing.

The main exception to this rule is when a composer, arranger, or editor has added the PDFs of their new work - in which case a MIDI is allowed (even a lousy-sounding one). The other exception is for very obscure pieces one is unlikely to encounter a recording of at all - something being better than nothing.