RSL Manuscript scans

Moderator: kcleung

Irishmaestro
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

RSL Manuscript scans

Post by Irishmaestro »

The Russian State Library has got some manuscript scans up on its website, but they appear to be embedded in some sort of flash protocol. They're not very high quality (they look about 150dpi to me), so they're obviously not using something similar to zoomify. Here's their scan of the autograph of Mozart's Trio in C Major, K.548, if anyone wants to have a go at cracking it!
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: RSL Manuscript scans

Post by coulonnus »

If you click the magnifing-glass bottom right it seems the resolution is at least 300 dpi! But the downloading problem remains.

Is there a composer-work catalog on this site?
Irishmaestro
forum adept

Post by Irishmaestro »

From what I can see, they can't possibly be 300dpi - there's quite a lot of jpeg artifacting.

The library in question is actually the National Library of Russia, not the Russian State Library, as I said in my post yesterday. The catalogue [here] was working for me yesterday, but I can't find anything today, for some reason.
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by coulonnus »

Irishmaestro wrote: The catalogue [here] was working for me yesterday, but I can't find anything today, for some reason.
I obtain results when I type e.g. Muzio Clementi into the search field, but obviously they are modern documents, not scans. :(
Irishmaestro
forum adept

Post by Irishmaestro »

coulonnus wrote:I obtain results when I type e.g. Muzio Clementi into the search field, but obviously they are modern documents, not scans. :(
Yeah, it's a slightly clunky interface - plus, the 'English' option only translates the main headings, not the entries themselves, or even the categories on the left. I use Google Translate to translate it, and it seems to work reasonably well.

Anyway, if you select 'electronic copies', you get a mixture of stuff, including any digitised manuscripts. There doesn't seem to be that much, though - all I've found so far is that one Mozart Trio and a few Haydn fragments. Here's my search for 'Mozart', restricted to 'electronic copies' ('Электронные копии' in the original): URL