New score submission

Moderator: kcleung

azumbrunn
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

New score submission

Post by azumbrunn »

I got a message on my category page that said there was now a new and easier score submission. I had to click some links to confirm that I am I and can now click the wheel on top and get a brand new submission page (or have I just found something that was always there?).

I don't quite understand and can't find more info on help pages or forums. Here are my questions:

1. Is this submission page supposed to replace the one I have been accessing from the work pages? I found that way to submit very straightforward indeed and don't see a need to improve.

2. My name is on that new page as "composer". And it says this entry can't or oughtn't be edited. I am curious about the reasons for this. Myself I am a typesetter / editor, not an arranger or composer.

3. I have submitted typeset scores and parts for chamber music works which a) I consider worth playing b) are not commercially or otherwise available in musician ready quality and c) I can find a source for, usually on IMSLP. The message I received mentioned "your own editions" as items to upload. What is an edition as opposed to a typeset for purposes of IMSLP? Do I have to change the way I have been uploading my typesets?
cypressdome
active poster

Re: New score submission

Post by cypressdome »

The ability to allow a user to associate his/her username with his/her category page on the wiki and this new procedure for uploading scores by composers, arrangers, and editors was introduced late in 2014 if I recall correctly. I believe that one of the main benefits of the new method was to prevent users from selecting incompatible options (the file/image type and the copyright) on the Add Files page. Scores submitted with the incompatible options often had to be deleted and the user contacted to try to upload them again. The new method also automatically populates the arranger and editor fields with the user's name using the LinkArr and LinkEd templates which will then add the work page containing their arrangement or edition to their own category page.

I'm not following your second question about you showing up as the composer. Your cateogry lists the four work pages on which you have uploaded editions. At the bottom you will see that you are in the category of People but not the category of Composers.

If you (re-)typeset a score whether the original is a manuscript or a previously-published edition you are the editor of that typeset. You would upload it to IMSLP by selecting "Add Your Own Edition" on the work page for that piece of music.

Hope that helps!
azumbrunn
forum adept

Post by azumbrunn »

I think I didn't quite understand the form that comes up under "add a work" on the category page: is this form to add a work to the list of works on the category page? Anyhow on that page my name appears already entered as the composer with the warning "don't edit this unless you know what you are doing".

I have uploaded several more typesets to IMSLP than the four listed, none of them composed by me (I wish...). Should I add them to the category page using this form? And if so is it ok to change the composer to George Onslow or J.F. Mazas? It is not terribly important to me to get "credit" for all my uploads on the category page, but it might be good to have it complete for whatever use people may make of the database. I won't do anything about it before I am clear in my head what I am allowed / not allowed to do; I don't want to create any unnecessary work.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

I added some more of your typesets to your editor page, just by copying {{LinkEd|Albrecht|Zumbrunn}} on the workpages behind editor=.
Maybe other ones are missing.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

I think I didn't quite understand the form that comes up under "add a work" on the category page: is this form to add a work to the list of works on the category page? Anyhow on that page my name appears already entered as the composer with the warning "don't edit this unless you know what you are doing".
I see what you're talking about now. Every person's category has that option. A person on the wiki can be an arranger, editor, librettist, translator, or composer or any combination of those. Work pages for a piece of music are created under the composer's category by using the "add a work" link. For arrangers, editors, librettists, and translators work pages get placed under their own category pages by using the LinkArr, LinkEd, LinkLib, and LinkTr templates on those work pages for the particular compositions to which they have contributed.

Should you ever decide to compose something the link is available on your category page but if your contributions will be limited to typesetting new editions then you would use the "Add Your Own Edition" on the work page for that piece of music and that form will automatically populate the LinkEd template so that the work page will appear on your category page under the "As Editor" tab.
azumbrunn
forum adept

Post by azumbrunn »

Thanks very much! I understand the basics now (not the technical part of it mind you). This discussion has had my favorite result: I don't have to do any work...

So thank you!