Category for composers of the Holocaust

Moderator: kcleung

Ravpapa
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Category for composers of the Holocaust

Post by Ravpapa »

I would like to create a category for "Composers of the Holocaust". This would include composers who perished in the Holocaust or who suffered by survived. Composers currently represented in IMSLP are

Erwin Schulhof
Pavel Haas
Gideon Klein (added today by me)
Olivier Messiaen (composer page exists, but his works are still under copyright)
Darius Milhaud
Bela Bartok

Composers in this category who are not yet represented in IMSLP include

Hans Krasa
Viktor Ullman
Mieczysław Weinberg
Władysław Szpilman

I hope to create composer pages for these in the next few months.

There are others, but these are the main ones.

I am posting this because I do not know how to create a category in IMSLP, and I do not know if ordinary users like myself are authorized or encouraged to create new categories. But I am perfectly happy to do so myself if someone can explain how.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Category for composers of the Holocaust

Post by cypressdome »

I certainly think a category for "People who died in the Holocaust" (this is the wording used by Wikipedia) would be a valuable addition. To me a "Composers (or People) of the Holocaust" category seems a little problematic as some of your examples show. Messiaen suffered due to his military service with a country at war with Germany and Bartok due to his anti-fascism. Certainly, they suffered as a result of WWII and the rise of fascism but not due to the Holocaust. I note that in Milhaud's case the only Holocaust category that Wikipedia has him in is "Jews who emigrated to escape Nazism." There certainly should be some way for us to categorize people who were adversely affected by the Holocaust. Wikipedia does use a "Holocaust survivors" category (Szpilman) but would one consider Milhaud a Holocaust survivor? Interestingly, Weinberg isn't included in any Holocaust-related category. Hopefully, some other users will contribute their thoughts on this. I'll create the "People who died in the Holocaust" category tomorrow as it is rather late now. Thanks!
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

The category People who died in the Holocaust has been created and I've added nine people.
Ravpapa
regular poster

Post by Ravpapa »

Great. Thanks. Now I have to get busy uploading music