Schubert: Early versions of dances wrongly identified

Moderator: kcleung

nfn
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Schubert: Early versions of dances wrongly identified

Post by nfn »

A contribution by bh2000, #16594, includes a number of early versions which he identified as being from Schubert's D145, D146, D779 and D783.
However, some of them are wrongly identified in the file. For instance, the one indicated as D145 No.12 is actually D779 No.12. Also it is not a Ländler but a Valse sentimentale.

It can be quite hard to track down those errors; I don't have time just now to find all the errors in that file, but I hope someone else will. If the contribution could be redone retaining all the original published material instead of substituting the contributor's descriptions, that would help to avoid errors. Those early versions should probably be presented in separate files for each appropriate Deutsch number, rather than being bundled together.

The IMSLP talk with bh200 seems to have stopped about ten years ago, so I suppose we're on our own here.

Nigel
jossuk
active poster

Re: Schubert: Early versions of dances wrongly identified

Post by jossuk »

Could you include the actual link to the errant files?
nfn

Re: Schubert: Early versions of dances wrongly identified

Post by nfn »

Here's a link to that file:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:IMSLPIma ... 94%2Fnhafj

There are links to that file under D.146, D.779 and D.783. There is now no link under D.145, which is just as it should be. However, the file itself still contains two errors in identifying the pieces shown:

D. 145, Laendler No. 12 should be indicated as D. 779 Valse sentimentale No. 12
D. 145, Laendler No. 14 should be indicated as D. 779 Valse sentimentale No. 14

Those errors are very off-putting for anyone studying D. 779 or D. 145. What's the best way to correct them in the file? Maybe an IMSLP official could modify the file accordingly. I could scan the whole file again, but I'm not sure that is needed.

(I had not replied here earlier because I did not receive notification that my forum contribution had been approved and posted, nor did I receive notification of the reply to it. I have only just today read the reply.)