new user needs help to share his collection

Moderator: kcleung

MrLopez2681

new user needs help to share his collection

Post by MrLopez2681 »

Hi everyone!

I am a ballet historian and author and I'm trying to get my extensive collection of sheet music uploaded to the site.....I have a large collection of rare sheet music by Cesare Pugni, Minkus, and Riccardo Drigo.

In my attempt to share with the site I registered with Adobe acrobat reader at this web page -
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/adc.do?app=cpdf

After that, I have no idea about what to do, and the adobe forums are confusing.

Does the sheet music I upload have to be in the format seen here - http://partners.adobe.com/public/asn/en ... tPress.pdf .... If so, how do I create it?-

Could you guys please help me with creating such a file? I would very much like to share my extensive collection with everyone!

--Adam

***The sheets are scanned on my PC as jpeg.
Last edited by MrLopez2681 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

What format is it currently in? (Have you already scanned it?)
MrLopez2681

Post by MrLopez2681 »

Yes - the pages are in jpeg and I uploaded it to this site - https://share.acrobat.com/adc/adc.do?app=cpdf.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Welcome to IMSLP, MrLopez. The best method for music scores is to convert the JPEGs to TIFFs, monochrome (bitmap) at 300-600 dpi, then merge the files into a single PDF score (or into manageable portions like one movement each if the whole score is too large). Using CCIT Level 4 compression, such monochrome TIFFs typically are less than 1MB per page, even at high (600 dpi) resolution. You can import JPEGs, even color ones, into PDF files as well but the file size generally gets to be enormous.

Glad to see you here. I very much enjoyed our conversation over at Wikipedia re: Swan Lake.
MrLopez2681

Post by MrLopez2681 »

OH YES - I remember you :D

Thats what I have no idea how to do - how do I put the TIFF files into the PDF form?

I uploaded one of my scores - the complete piano reduction of Pugni's 1864 score for "The Little Humpbacked Horse" (which is about 150 pages) - to this site -
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/adc.do?app=cpdf

But then what do I do? I havnt the foggiest idea on how to place the files once they are uploaded to the site above so that they are presentable just like the documents seen here - http://partners.adobe.com/public/asn/en ... tPress.pdf

When uploading the manuscript pages to IMSLP, what software, if any, do you use? Do you even bother with the PDF site I provoded the link to above?

Thanks for all your help BTW!!

--Adam
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

If you have Adobe Acrobat Professional, that's an easy way to convert multiple tiffs into one pdf. Having all the tiffs in one pdf file is the only prerequisite for uploading - no extra software is needed.

If you don't have Acrobat Professional, I think you should be able to do it with ImageMagick (free to download), but I'm not sure how.
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

In windows you can convert tiff to pdf with pdfill free tools or you can use the virtual pdf printer Primopdf.
MrLopez2681

Post by MrLopez2681 »

oh thank you carmar!!!!

IVE GOT IT!! I am able to put the JPEGs right on to a new PDF file.

I have a question - can I use Primopdf to edit an exsisting PDF? I cant seem to find that option anywhere in the program.

--ADAM
Sebastian
regular poster

Post by Sebastian »

carmar 1791: PDFill and PrimoPDF look awesome. Thank you. I'll be sure to check them out. Perhaps someone could add a few lines about this to the IMSLP pages on scanning music scores?

One thing about printing to pdf files though, is that there may be a quality loss or the file size may be unreasonably big. When I open a PDF score and printed it to a new PDF file using CutePDF the file size triples. Hopefully PDFill and PrimoPDF do a better job.
Sebastian
regular poster

Post by Sebastian »

MrLopez2681 wrote:can I use Primopdf to edit an exsisting PDF? I cant seem to find that option anywhere in the program.
It looks like you need to use the "pro" version of PrimoPDF called Nitro PDF to do that. You can download a 14 day trial. It's $99 if you want to buy it. PDFill is only $19 and might do the job as well.
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

Edit a pdf it' quite difficoult.
I think to save time it's better you edit tiff (or jpeg or png) files using gimp.In a second time when all files are ok you can convert to pdf.
Usually to edit (croop, resize, delete writings, etc) pdfs I have always used acrobat professional but recently I have discovered very very bad things about it.That is:
Pdf file works with" layers".When you write something or delete or croop you add a visible layer.The pervious layers will never be overwrited or deleted so the original document will be always preserved.So you can obtain a layout you want but behind You will have always the original(also if you print it with a virtual pdf printer).If you want only what you see you must convert pdf to tiff(or an other image file) and than again tiff to pdf.
So you can see that it's a long passage:
tiff -> pdf->edit with acrobat or something else->tiff->pdf
(4 passages)

better this
tiff->edit with gimp->convert to pdf
(2 passages)
(and if you want different margins you can print it (pdf printer) again with more or less zoom)

Ciao

Carmar
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

If you use Photoshop or Acrobat to edit the PDF images, the addition of layers will increase the file size as well. You would need to use the "flatten layer" option or something like that to maintain the file size (or at least close to it) of the PDFs. This is of course, assuming that the contents of the new layer does not erase what is in the previous layer.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I've left a message on Daphnis' page, but I'll also add a word here:

Basically the steps to convert are as follows (since you have Acrobat):

1. Extract the images using Acrobat,
2. Convert the images to monochrome TIFF using some imaging program (but not Paint). GIMP (gimp.org) is a good one; I am sure there is an easy way to do it in GIMP, but I cannot tell you right now because I do not use GIMP myself (perhaps someone else can?). GIMP should also have batch processing powers (so you don't have to process each image manually).
3. Recreate PDF file from the TIFF files.

Unfortunately, I do not use either Acrobat or GIMP (I don't use any graphic imaging tools, only command line ones), so I can only be of limited assistance, but the above steps should theoretically work. Please do post any progress or questions you have; it will be very helpful to future contributors :-)