Johann Christian Bach work pages protection

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Fynnjamin
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Johann Christian Bach work pages protection

Post by Fynnjamin »

It seems most if not all workpages for Johann Christian Bach are protected, meaning I cannot upload anything or make edits. Am I really the only one who has this issue? I have brought it up for individual pages before and it's quite maddening. There is another type of page protection that allows registered users to edit - surely that would be more appropriate.
I get this message when I want to upload to a JC Bach page: "Error: This page has been protected to prevent editing."
I can only "View source" rather than edit: "You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason: This page has been protected to prevent editing."
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Johann Christian Bach work pages protection

Post by Sallen112 »

What workpages are protected?
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

I can explain for at least Don Giovanni and Messiah. Were worried about file overload on these pages so the webpage doesn't crash with how popular they are for uploading to. With the new site coming, hopefully we can solve the long term issue of the workpage supporting hundreds of files getting so overloaded and relieve this issue to run the page much faster, hopefully on a more modern Website engine that can be upped into the thousands of files stacks to load eventually if were looking into the next many decades this century that we want to continue accepting files with no issues with the webpages crashing. Right now, according to Feldmahler, he said to me at the moment in a tab for a workpage, the maximum is around 400 files (and you will see the problem already on Messiah, Dbmiller was I believe going to add two more recording at the same file quantity per recording) but in general those page are starting to get slower loading because of so many stacks on the page. Combined with Part Files for Whole Opera Part sets and this gets into the hundreds of files if they are all separate. Were not allowing files being redirected to a subpage which goes against our rules of all files being on one page.

So basically we have to protect them now and be selective of what people would like to add, so if they ask about the protection lifted now, we have to ask what kind of files they want to add, historical scans, typesets? If the latter, most likely these will probably be rejected (unless its the original setting if we do not have much of the typesets for say a full opera set could be useful and valuable to have, but we probably are going to limit to one set most likely for now). Historical scans we'll have to be picky with. So until Edward can get the new site running, maybe we will finally lift this rule and then we can fully open these workpages up once again.
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

I created a new page to upload some Op.7 scans - https://imslp.org/wiki/6_Concertos%2C_O ... Christian) - these need to be moved to the existing page which is still protected (https://imslp.org/wiki/6_Keyboard_Conce ... Christian) along with all the other JC Bach collection pages), by someone who has access/permission.
justforplaying
regular poster

Post by justforplaying »

Now the Op.7 pages are combined.