Ravel, Sonata for violin and cello

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Ravel, Sonata for violin and cello

Post by steltz »

This page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Duo_pour_violon_e ... MSLP229163

and this page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Sonata_for_Violin ... ,_Maurice)

should possibly be merged. The Duo was published in 1920 in the collection ''Tombeau de Debussy'', but then also used as a movement in the Sonata for violin and cello published in composed 1920-1922.

Grove's entry says "Sonata, vn, vc, 1920–22; orig. version of 1st movt pubd in ‘Le tombeau de Claude Debussy’, ReM, i/1–2 (1920)".

I don't know what changes were made that would constitute "orig. version" vs. what eventually ended up in the Sonata (I will have more time to check the two against each other in the next few days but not immediately), but since Grove doesn't list the Duo separately, think it would be better if the Duo movement was put on the Sonata page with comments relating to the two.

Alternatively, since we don't have a work page for ''Le Tombeau de Claude Debussy'', we could create one and deal with it that way, with links between the two.

Other opinions?
bsteltz
Melodia
active poster

Re: Ravel, Sonata for violin and cello

Post by Melodia »

The issue of if Ravel changed anything from the original Debussy memorial to the sonata is a mysterious one. There's no separate catalog number, so clearly Marcel Marnat didn't consider them different enough.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Ravel, Sonata for violin and cello

Post by vinteuil »

Should be taken care of.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human