What to do with some opera selections?

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

What to do with some opera selections?

Post by coulonnus »

I would like to scan works by Johann Strauss. They are based on a Strauss's opera, are a piano arrangement, but have their own Opus number and their title is not that of the opera. The cover simply states after motives of the opera <opera title>. There is an alternative title such a Polka, Mazurka, Quadrille etc. I am sure Strauss is the arranger.

Should they have their own Work Page or should they be included into ===Arrangements and Transcriptions===, ====Selections====, =====For Piano===== into the Work Page of this Opera?
Melodia
active poster

Re: What to do with some opera selections?

Post by Melodia »

Strauss wrote a huge amount of works based on opera music but they are their own independent works. Some of the more well known ones are Roses from the South, Op. 338, At the Hunt, Op. 373 and Du und Du, Op. 367.
There's absolutely NO reason they shouldn't be on independent pages.

As most of Strauss's works have piano reductions (as well as violin and piano ones), I assume you're talking about these.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

They should definitely appear on separate work pages, but it wouldn't hurt to make cross-references by adding "|Related Works=" to the general information section.

We already have quite a sizeable Strauss section already, of course (largely thanks to Piupianissimo's recent efforts), so some of these work pages might already exist.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks. :-)