Dvorak Slavonic Dances, Op. 46, misordered

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

cjsmith53
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Dvorak Slavonic Dances, Op. 46, misordered

Post by cjsmith53 »

There are two orderings for this set of 8 dances: the original ordering for the original version (piano duet), and a reordering of two of the dances when Dvorak orchestrated the whole set. The IMSLP page shows only the orchestral reordering, and not the original. That would be fine (though it would be preferable to show both—see below), except that the individual dances in the original piano-duet version are misidentified (e.g. if you click on #6 in D, identified as if it's going to be the sixth of the orchestral set, you get #6 in Ab, i.e. the sixth dance of the piano-duet set).
The two dances involved are #3 and #6.
In the original piano-duet version, #3 is the Sousedská in D major, and #6 is the Polka in Ab major.
In the orchestrated version, they were swapped; #3 is the Polka in Ab, and #6 is the Sousedská in D.
I would recommend showing both orderings—or perhaps use the original piano-duet ordering and note after #3 that it is #6 in the orchestral version, and likewise for #6.
But whatever you decide to do with the prefatory material, the links should be fixed so that the link for the D major Sousedská goes to the score of that dance, and so on.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Dvorak Slavonic Dances, Op. 46, misordered

Post by Carolus »

I wonder if this is one of those cases where it might be a good idea for us to have two pages - one for the piano four-hand original and one for the orchestration. We did something similar for Brahms' Hungarian Dances. Thanks for pointing this out.