Score downloads are just blank pages

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

rhymesandchymes
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Score downloads are just blank pages

Post by rhymesandchymes »

Hi Admin, When I download any Vivian Fine score the pages are all blank! This problem seems limited to Vivian Fine scores. I tried a few other composers at random and the scores all download properly.

Thanks very much for your help.

Peggy Karp
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Score downloads are just blank pages

Post by Choralia »

Blank pages when downloading a pdf file are usually due to a problem with the browser's pdf plug-in. It especially occurs when the time required for downloading the file is relatively long because the file is large and/or because a limited bandwidth is available. In these cases, you'd better right-click the download link and save the file to your computer first, so that it can be opened locally using any pdf viewer (while the tricky browser's plug-ins are bypassed completely)

For testing, I've just downloaded IMSLP #18617 e #180618 this way, and they are OK.

Max
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

Thanks Max. But why am I able to quickly download other composers' pdfs? I also tried a very short Vivian Fine piece (Eclogue) and same problem--blank pages.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

rhymesandchymes wrote:But why am I able to quickly download other composers' pdfs?
I don't think that the problem is related to the specific composer.

Scores are stored on multiple servers for traffic balance reasons, and some servers may be slower than others. I've just downloaded Eclogue from two servers (http://conquest.imslp.info, http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr), and the score was correctly displayed in my browser (Mozilla Firefox 26.0 with Adobe Acrobat plugin version 11.0.6.70 under Windows 8 ), there were just few seconds of delay from the end of the downloading and the actual displaying (blank pages are displayed if one doesn't wait long enough). I'm located in Europe, so maybe http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr is faster for me than from you.

Max
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

Thanks again. You're right, it does seem to be a problem with my computer. I just downloaded two Vivian Fine pieces from another computer without difficulty.

I wonder if the fact that I was the uploader for all the Vivian Fine scores could have anything to do with it? In any case I will ask my tech person to see if there is any problem with my pdf plugin, though since I can download other composers without any problems I think it may be something else.