Chadwick Symphonic Sketches missing English Horn

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

RKStud
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Chadwick Symphonic Sketches missing English Horn

Post by RKStud »

The instruments part uploads for Chadwick's Symphonic Sketches is missing the English Horn part for the full version. (A part for EH is posted for 3rd movement, but it plays in the others as well.) The original uploader was 'Carolus'. How might i get in touch with this person to see if EH can be added?
jossuk
active poster

Re: Chadwick Symphonic Sketches missing English Horn

Post by jossuk »

The instrumentation is a bit puzzling. Movements 1 and 4 are written for 1 oboe and 1 EH. The score for the 2nd movt. seems to ask for 2 oboes and 1 EH, but the 2nd oboe part only doubles the 1st oboe part, and the score doesn't quite agree with the individual oboe 2 part as to when that doubling occurs. The 3rd movt. is the only one that calls for 2 distinct oboe parts (and no EH part).

It's hard to imagine scheduling 2 oboes plus 1 EH in a performance just so the 2nd oboe can double a few lines in one movement. (Traditionally, I believe, the 2nd oboe would take the EH part.) Perhaps there is another tradition at play here. Anyway, yes, there is definitely an EH part missing. Also, there is no EH mentioned in the General Information section for the work, which would seem to be an oversight.
steltz
active poster

Re: Chadwick Symphonic Sketches missing English Horn

Post by steltz »

I can't help with the missing part, but I have at least edited the instrumentation field to mention the doubling instruments, and I've noted under the Schirmer edition parts that the English Horn part is missing.
bsteltz