Page move request: Türrschmidt, Carl

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

lexlex
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Page move request: Türrschmidt, Carl

Post by lexlex »

Hi All,

I need help from an established editor. This is my first post and while I am a long time Wikipedia editor, I have not done much here yet and have few privileges on the system. So, here goes—I need a page move:

The composer page Türrschmidt, Carl is not correct as that is not the composer's name.
It should be moved to Türrschmiedt, Charles with a redirect from the old (Carl) name. Note both the first AND last name are different.

This can be easily verified by looking at:
  • a) The printed name on the uploaded scanned music files.
    b) Googling the correct name "Charles Türrschmiedt" against the old one and seeing that the correct name is more prevalent and appears in German library catalogs, whereas the incorrect name does not. Considering he was a German composer, this further validates the correct name.
    c) Doing the above will also show that "Carl Türrschmidt" and "Charles Türrschmiedt" have written the same works and are thus the same person.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I am working on a few things and plan to become much more active.

Thanks much,

Alex
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Page move request: Türrschmidt, Carl

Post by Davydov »

Hello Alex, and welcome to IMSLP!

As you can imagine, there are many different variations of composer names (e.g. "Louis de Beethoven"), and we have a strategy for dealing with this:

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Composer_Names

Türrschmidt doesn't appear in the Library of Congress authority files, but he is in VIAF:

http://viaf.org/viaf/57724652

In this case the record comes from the German national library, whose preferred form is "Türrschmidt, Karl" , which is therefore the spelling we should be using. The alternative spellings (VIAF list seven altogether) will appear on Türrschmidt's category page, and anyone searching for them will land there.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, even if the outcome wasn't exactly what you were anticipating :-)
lexlex

Post by lexlex »

Thanks much! However, with that information shouldn't the page then be moved to "Karl" instead of the current "Carl"?

A
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Yes, I moved it earlier as a result of your enquiry. His one composition had somehow been split over two differently-named pages as well, but that's fixed now too.
lexlex

Post by lexlex »

Thank you very much Davydov! I really appreciate the warm welcome and your taking me under the wing like this! I have a stack of 1800's sheet music here (I'm in Berlin) and will endeavour to get it in soon.

Cheers,

Alex