Having problems uploading a drawing

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Having problems uploading a drawing

Post by steltz »

We have a pencil drawing of Carl Maria von Weber, done by Eduard Mörike, that was used as in an edition of Weber's piano pieces that will not be uploadable for quite a while due to copyright covering the editor.

In discussion with Davydov the question came up whether it belongs here at all, not being music per se. My suggestion was to upload the drawing to Weber's page, caption it with the information on the work page, and then delete the work page.

The system won't allow me to upload the drawing because it has picked up that it's a duplicate of something we already have, even though I changed the title of it when I saved it to my computer. I don't know how it picked it up, but because it's a duplicate, I can't upload it. I didn't really want to delete the page before I was sure all the info was transferred.

Is there a way around this, or should I delete the Mörike page first?
bsteltz
Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Having problems uploading a drawing

Post by Choralia »

steltz wrote:Is there a way around this
The MediaWiki software detects identical files based on their contents, not only based on the filenames. So, I think that you may perform some basic editing of the file containing the drawing, in such a way that the file contents change a little bit. For example, a small resizing of the image, or different compression settings, or something like that, will probably work.

Max