D. F. Tovey Clarinet Sonata

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Cigleris
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

D. F. Tovey Clarinet Sonata

Post by Cigleris »

Hi there,

I wanted to point out that the date of composition listed on IMSLP is incorrect. The work was composed in 1903 and premiered by the composer at the piano and Charles Draper on clarinet in December of 1903 for the Broadwood Concerts at St. James' Hall London. The review appeared in The Musical Times in Jan 1904.
steltz
active poster

Re: D. F. Tovey Clarinet Sonata

Post by steltz »

Interesting, and thanks for the reference. I have checked it out, and I have also contacted Grove Music, who gives the 1906 date. They are usually very interested to hear about things that need to be corrected. In the meantime, I have changed the page and put a comment in about Grove.
bsteltz
Cigleris

Post by Cigleris »

Thank you for your response, very much appreciated. Interesting that Grove have the date wrong, I would have thought that the 2nd edition Grove (1904) would be correct. Certainly The Musical Times reviewed it. This link might be interesting and again lists the Tovey as Dec 1903 http://www.concertprogrammes.org.uk/htm ... ecord/4331
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I got a very quick reply from Grove Music to say they would review it and look at the references. I don't know how long that will take, but I find them very receptive to looking at things that might be wrong.
bsteltz