Error creating work page

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

David Campbell
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Error creating work page

Post by David Campbell »

I'm receiving the following error:

An article by this name already exists.

when attempting to create a workpage under Percy Grainger with this title:

Settings of Songs and Tunes from William Chappell's 'Old English Popular Music'

I don't find a page on IMSLP with that title. Any input would be appreciated.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Error creating work page

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps an Alternative Title here: http://imslp.org/wiki/My_Robin_is_to_th ... er,_Percy) is the culprit?
David Campbell
active poster

Post by David Campbell »

Thanks coulonnus. My search was done with 'and' while the page for which you provided a link uses an ampersand.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

But then is Alternative Title the right choice in this present Robin page? Shouldnt' it be a Related Work instead?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Grainger's Settings of Songs & Tunes from William Chappel's Old English Popular Music was another one of his many 'series' - some of which only contain a single work (Colonial Song is the only one of the series Sentimentals, for example). These would be convenient for categorization were it not for Grainger's erratic designations and numbering of the various items - especially when it came to separating true versions from arrangements of extant versions. To give a classic example, there are actually two (very different) versions of his "Irish Tune form County Derry", which has no less than five numbers assigned to it in his British Folk Music Settings series (Nos.5, 6, 15, 20 and 29). The first four are the same setting (first version), arranged for forces ranging from piano solo to chorus, orchestra and military band (this is the well-known one which is done frequently). No.29 - described as being for 'elastic scoring' is actually much different in nature - a true second version almost sounding like Charles Ives in places. To make matters worse, there are also plenty of un-numbered British Folk Music Settings (and things from other series) to add to the confusion.