Best way to add missing pages to score ("Ballo" IMSLP33966)?

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Jim DeLaHunt
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Best way to add missing pages to score ("Ballo" IMSLP33966)?

Post by Jim DeLaHunt »

Hello,

I used IMSLP33966-PMLP34562-Verdi_-_Ballo_in_maschera_-_vocal_score.pdf to perform "Un ballo in maschera" a couple of years ago. I noticed some flaws with that edition:
  • The score omitted 3 pages in one place, and 2 pages in another.
  • The editor who uploaded IMSLP33966 filled in the 3-page omission with 5 pages from a full orchestral score, which fit musically, but wasn't consistent with the score's piano-vocal form.
  • The page numbers in the footer were out of sync with the original score from pp. 271-end.
  • The page layout of IMSLP left large blank margins around each page, which is not necessary for printing, and a liability when using the PDF file on a tablet computer.
I made my own version of IMSLP33966 with these problems corrected. I recreated the piano-vocal parts for the 3-page omission. (I didn't need the 2 pages for the second omission, but I could recreate those also.) I put in correct page numbers, and improved the margins.

I'd like to contribute this improved version of IMSLP33966 back. Is it appropriate to "upload a new version of this file" in http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP34562-Ve ... _score.pdf, or should I upload it as a new edition, with a new IMSLP number?

I read through the contributors guide and the FAQ, and I couldn't find instructions for this situation. If I missed them, just reply with a pointer to the instructions, and I'll read them.

Thanks in advance!

--
Jim DeLaHunt, Executive Director & Founder • jdlh (at) KeyboardPhilharmonic.org • m +1-604-376-8953
Keyboard Philharmonic Project • http://keyboardphilharmonic.org/@KeyPhilh

We organise music lovers to transcribe music scores of public domain opera and classical music into revisable, shareable, reusable digital files — and to give them away freely. Subscribe to our low-volume announcement email list, it's the best way to follow what we're up to!
Phillip21
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Best way to add missing pages to score ("Ballo" IMSLP33966)?

Post by Phillip21 »

I had the same problem with the version of Donizetti's 'Lucia di Lammermoor' that was already here - it had several missing pages. I was using it to rehearse a production, and the MD had found the missing pages and inserted them into a version that the cast were doing, so I added the missing pages to what was on IMSLP (using the Linux program PDF Mod) and reuploaded it. Unfortunately the process increased the size of the file in a way that I was unable to reverse (someone else could I am sure reduce this file back down) but it is at least all there- see: http://bit.ly/1NcYowc for both the incomplete and complete files.
Phillip Sear