Discrepancies in scores of Brucker motets

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Mateusz Luczak
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Discrepancies in scores of Brucker motets

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

I have found at least 4 errors in the scores of Bruckner motets which reappear again and again even in most recent scores provided by Alexander Reuter for IMSLP and claimed to be based on manuscript sources. The first three are not even mentioned in Nowak's Revisionbericht, which discusses differences between manuscripts and first editions.
Here is a list:

Virga Jesse bar 48 alto: most scores: G natural - C flat - B flat - D natural, manuscript: G natural - C natural - B flat - D natural
Virga Jesse bar 70 bass: most scores: A natural - A natural - G - G, manuscript: A natural - A natural - G sharp - G sharp
In jener letzen der Nachte bar 21 tenor, the last note in the bar: most scores: C, manuscript: B flat
Vier Tantum ergo, revised ed. (1888), Tantum ergo I in B flat major, bar 18 alto:
most scores: E flat - E flat - E flat, manuscript and Revisionbericht: E flat - E natural - E natural.

This means that errors found in first editions persist. I am wondering whether these errors can be found in authoritative editions, both old and new or even these about to be published in the future. I would be grateful if someone who has some authoritative editions of Bruckner motets could check if the errors I have found are there or not.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Discrepancies in scores of Brucker motets

Post by coulonnus »

Did you consider a contribution to http://imslp.org/index.php?title=Specia ... der+Reuter?
Mateusz Luczak

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

Certainly it would be good to contact Alexander Reuter about this (I have no idea how?). However, since Bruckner manuscripts and first editions are generally available, I am looking for someone who has access to modern authoritative editions to check these particular bars.
Mateusz Luczak

Re: Discrepancies in scores of Bruckner motets

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

I decided to post again the list of questions about Bruckner motets:

Virga Jesse bar 48 alto: C flat or C natural?
Virga Jesse bar 70 bass: G or G sharp?
In jener letzen der Nachte bar 21 tenor, the last note in the bar: C or B flat?
Vier Tantum ergo, revised ed. (1888), Tantum ergo I in B flat major, bar 18 alto: E flat or E natural?

I will appreciate any reply.
Mateusz Luczak

Re: Discrepancies in scores of Bruckner motets

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

Mateusz Luczak wrote:Certainly it would be good to contact Alexander Reuter about this (I have no idea how?). However, since Bruckner manuscripts and first editions are generally available, I am looking for someone who has access to modern authoritative editions to check these particular bars.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Try this e-mail address (courtesy of CPDL) to contact Alexander: alexanderreuter@arcor.de
Alexander Reuter
regular poster

Post by Alexander Reuter »

Dear Mateusz,
accidentally I read your post referring some Bruckner motets. Let me reply to every sinlge point you raise:

Virga Jesse bar 48 alto: I agree your objection

Virga Jesse bar 70 bass: I agree your objection

In jener letzen der Nachte bar 21 tenor, the last note in the bar: It is questionable which note Bruckner meant. Indeed his autograph could be read like your proposal. However it could be also read as an A. And a B flat in tenor versus an A in bass is rather unlikely in this case. Althoug some copyists made some writing errors (also in WAB 52 Virga Jesse) all copies of WAB 17 In jener letzen der Nächte show an A in this bar. So I decide to remain my current version of this edition.

Vier Tantum ergo, revised ed. (1888), Tantum ergo I in B flat major, bar 18 alto: I agree your objection.

I corrected the editions. The new files are already uploaded.

I am not a musicologist and I work alone. So some errors may occur in spite of all diligence and proofreading. Nevertheless I dout that there is any person who has "access to modern authoritative editions" besides the ones already available like the "Bruckner Gesamtausgabe" and "Neue Bruckner Gesamtausgabe" at Musikwissenschaftlichen Verlag Wien (MWV). The peolple there have the acccess, the time, the skilled personnel and the money to publish authoritative editions. Thank you for your attentiveness.

Best Regards
Alexander
Mateusz Luczak

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

Dear Alexander,
I am not sure whether you are there after two years, but your scores definitely are. Thank you for checking and correcting them. I wrote my posts at the time when I had no access to any authoritative editions, and since I have been doing arrangements, I needed to check every note, so I finally decided to buy the relevant volumes of the Gesamtausgabe. I stopped checking the forum because I lost my password, which I accidentally found today.
Just one comment on In jener letzen: the right note is definitely B flat as you can check in any authoritative source, manuscripts or books and it sounds right. Note that the tenor and bass are notated in the bass cleft so they are different notes: C in the bass and B flat in the tenor - that makes a perfect cadence.
Best wishes,
Mateusz