system messes up titles

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

dtoub
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

system messes up titles

Post by dtoub »

Very tired of this; for example, years ago I uploaded a work titled bs piece that initially was mangled by the system to "B's piece." One of my works entitled textbook: music of solitary landscapes in hyperspace (piece for IPS) is incorrectly listed as "Music of Solitary Landscapes in Hyperspace."

This is annoying and something I've reported many times in the past to no avail. There is just no reason why user-entered titles should have to conform to however you've set it up as a default in the backend. My works all lack capital letters; I'm the composer and I get to decide this. Not IMSLP.

Please explain to me why this is a requirement and why it cannot be changed. I would argue it is an arbitrary requirement and one that should be changed. I've contributed 58 of my own scores to this site over many years, back when this was a much more open place. All I'm asking is that my own works be listed as I've entered them; no capitalization required. Please.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: system messes up titles

Post by Carolus »

You can put whatever you like in the General Information section of the work page - even Kanji characters and much else. That's the place Google and other index bots use most often anyway. The downside is that you sometimes have to amend after the fact as the system will default to an initial cap every time. The actual work page titles themselves are not under your control.
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

Understood, but the titles themselves should be under the composer’s control, no? This is a pretty conservative and inflexible system then. Why couldn’t that change?
Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Sallen112 »

Its quite complicated, as I said on the other post, it has to do with the way the cataloging and algorithms that are set up on here. We cannot compromise the Workpage titles for one composer on here, we have to manage across thousands of other composers. Your titling of your works is unique to your own. All we can do for you is change the worktitle in the General Info to display exactly how you want.
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

Then delete my page. Thanks.